Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the power steering tie rod extenders, I know some people use Loctite blue to hold the threads. Other suggest a roll pin, do you drill the extender before or after threading onto the rack? If before how do you clean up the female threads? If after threading onto the rack do you drill into the rack? The Ford pin does not seem to go into the rack. I assume the roll pin is 1/8" cut short? Thanks for the help. Marlin

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Why not just do the blue Loctite, put a good torgue on it, and be done? With Loctite on those big threads, they're not going anywhere.

·
Lay posi
1,223 Posts
If I remember correctly, I assembled it and then drilled for the roll pins. I drilled into the rack with a cordless drill. I did not drill through the rack. 1/8" sounds about right, I don't remember what size I used. It might have been 3/32". I did cut the length of the pins down.

Wibby

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Green is a wicking version, for already assembled threads. I personally would not use Loctite red for this application. It's just not needed, and would be a pain to get those pretty large metal parts to 500°F for disassembly, not even considering what parts might be inside the rack to damage from heat. I've broken metal more than once trying to disassemble after using Loctite Red, so use it only where it's absolutely necessary or specifically listed in mfg's instructions.

From Loctite's website, for more details on all three:

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

Loctite® Threadlocker Green 290™ is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. Due to it's low viscosity and capillary action, the product wicks between engaged threads and eliminates the need to disassemble prior to application. Loctite® Threadlocker Green 290™ cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It prevents loosening from shock and vibration and leakage from shock and vibration and protects threads from rust and corrosion. The product can also be used to fill porosity in welds, casting and powder metal parts. Localized heating and hand tools are needed for disassembly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The question is based on information that dv/dt has written in past threads. I will Blue Loctite the extenders on and Loctite and pin (belt and suspenders) the new tie rods since they are coming with new pins and have holes drilled already. Marlin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.