Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
In your kit didn't you get rack extensions?

· 2010 FFCars Graduate
3,027 Posts
I have the FFR option Unisteer manual rack and the tie rod ends I received in the kit seemed too short to me as well.
I bought a set of TRW ES2150R ends locally. I think it's a better option than trying to weld extensions to the ones you have.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
In your kit didn't you get rack extensions?
I was going to ask the same question. If you don't have the rack extensions, it will solve the length problem and also improve front end geometry. The most common issue cited is having to cut some of the tie rod off, not add length. So something doesn't sound right.

No disrespect to your welding ability, but I wouldn't be comfortable in a car with butt welded extensions on the inner tie rods, assuming that's what you would do.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to ask the same question. If you don't have the rack extensions, it will solve the length problem and also improve front end geometry. The most common issue cited is having to cut some of the tie rod off, not add length. So something doesn't sound right.

No disrespect to your welding ability, but I wouldn't be comfortable in a car with butt welded extensions on the inner tie rods, assuming that's what you would do.
The rack extensions are for power steering racks, the threading is too small for the manual racks.

And, yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable with butt welding the inner tie rods either.

I was going to cut the tie rod end and weld in some 1 inch tube between the threaded part and the pivot ball. Possibly add some small gussets.

Currently the tie rod ends I have are 5.8" long and threading them in about 7 turns from the end of the tie rod (the minimum I feel comfortable with) puts the wheels at a visible toe in situation. I would like at least an inch more to allow adjustment and more thread engagement.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
The rack extensions are for power steering racks, the threading is too small for the manual racks.
Right, I keep messing that up. You (and Rich) are right of course. I've used them before but only on a PS rack. My bad.

I know you already have the manual rack, but you still may want to look at fixing by getting the extended rack. The Unisteer unit from Factory Five is custom made with the wider inner tie rod joints, basically the same geometry as a PS rack with the extensions installed. Solves your problem plus improves the front end geometry. On my Mk3, I was able to find a builder with a complete kit who didn't use the supplied manual rack from FFR. Really improved the bump steer a lot.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like flaming river sells a 7" tie rod end...

I suppose I should have dug into this a little deeper before getting this rack.

Looks like my only option at this point is to buy or make a longer tie rod end or inner tie rod, or buy a different rack.

I think I'll start with the tie rod ends since it is the most cost effective solution and if I don't like the way it performs, I'll buy an extended rack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.