Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find any numbers so I 'ass'umed 90ft-lbs like other ball joints and ended up cross-threading it (and spending an hour getting it off :( ) .... forgot about the online Autozone manual - oops, yea, i only needed ~40. *sigh*

I was using Breeze's tie rods, but since he's away I guess I just pick up tie rods from a 93 mustang gt at Autozone tomorrow?

Also, while I"m asking about tie rods, is there some special tool to tighten the tie rod after screwing it on - I did it as much by hand as I could, but didn't know what to do after that? (i.e., if hand tightening was fine until an alignment shop does it?)

[ August 05, 2007, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: EFNFAST ]

·
6,559 Posts
Are you referring to the outer tie rod end or inner tie rod end? The outer tie rod end doesn't bottom out on the tie rod. It has a lock nut that secures it after it's been adjusted.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, the outer tie rod - I've got a nut with it (although it just looks like a regular nut, not a locking nut), I just don't know, when threading the outer tie rod on, once it's been hand tightened do you then want to tighten it further somehow, or just leave it as it?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
in the "Also.." aprt of your post I think you are talking about threading the tierod end onto the inner tierod right.In Todd's pic above his rubber boot covers the part of the inner tierod where you can fit a 13mm(?) wrench to hold it while you tighten the big nut.just a reasonable tug w/ a wrench is all that is needed.

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
You should not have a locking nut you should have a castle nut like the picture Todd posted thsat gets a cotter pin...........Steven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts