Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my FFR rear lca's on my solid axle a while back. Went to grease the bushings this weekend and noticed on the first one that grease was coming out at the threads of the grease nipple. Started to tighten it and it just kept turning. Went to do the other end and when I put the grease gun on the nipple it came right out of the lca. Other lca had the same problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

Should I get replacement ones from FFR or press out the bushings and try to drill and tap for larger nipples?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Grease Fittings

The grease fittings on the FFR rear LCA's are self tapping. That term is used loosely. Mine did the same and when I took them out I realized that the holes were just a tad too big and the fittings had no bite. Started to make a stink about it with FFR and then thought better.

I just went out and purchased the very next size up and tapped the hole for it. I actually found that a metric zerk fitting was the best next size up and bought those. I believe mine are M8 or 8 millimeter. Worked out perfect.

You do need to push out the bushings. Not really a big deal.

Hope this helps

Luis

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Had the exact issue during my Mk3 build. The zerks in both rear LCA's were loose, and when I took them out, there was little/no thread in the holes. Did a few searches, and found this was a pretty common problem. I went to the next size fitting as Luis suggested. Have some extras in the basement, but I'm 99% sure they are metric as he said. I didn't take anything apart or tap the holes though. Used some blue Loctite and they self-threaded into the hole just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
FFR has had that problem from day 1. Going with the next size larger zerk is the most elegant solution. If you want a quick fix, make about a half-dozen center-punch craters around the stripped hole...reasonably close to the hole. That will usually move enough metal that the self-threading zerk will bite. Be careful tightening..it won't take much torque to strip it again.

:beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.