Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from our trip to Arizona. I saw MikieC's post about a run to Tortilla Flats on 10 January, and just had to go join 'em. Well, OK, there were other reasons I had to go to AZ... I had to take my trailer anyway, so the timing was fortuitous and I brought THRAMP along.

<center> Trailer Queen
</center>
This was the first time I'd put THRAMP on this trailer, but it loaded up with no problems. Yes, throw your poison darts - THRAMP has become a trailer queen, if only for a week. Oh, the shame of it all! But, doing so let me cruise to Arizona in heated, CD-playing comfort, so

Friday

On Friday, I unloaded THRAMP and drove from Prescott to Wickenburg and back. I took Iron Springs Road out of town and down to 89 just east of Peeples Valley, a little faster road than 89 through the forest, although the road surface leaves something to be desired. On the way back I blasted up 89 to Yarnell, then on through the forest to Prescott. In fairness to the locals, I was impressed at how quickly some of them run their trucks and SUV's up that hill. Braver souls than I. I actually made better time on the way back (by about five minutes) on the twistier route, but had to work harder at it.

Saturday
<center>

Frozen Cobra </center>
What the hell is this stuff on my car?! Never had to deal with THAT in California! It was 27 degrees in Prescott when I left to join the gang in Phoenix. Bah! THRAMP had slept outside, and had a layer of frost on it. So I'm out there scraping ice off the windshield with a credit card. (Finally found something I can do with those plastic things that didn't cost me money.)

<center> Snake round-up at 88 and 60 </center>

Met the rest of the Cobraphiles in Apache Junction. As MikieC has posted, there were a total of 19 on hand. All kinds of configurations to check out. Mike launched the faster guys first, although I don't know how much faster they could actually go given the traffic. Being new to the route, I followed near the rear of the group. One Cobra draws attention; nineteen Cobras draw A LOT of attention. People stared open-mouthed as we thundered by.

<center>

"Sharp Eye" Trophy of the Week to whoever can identify drivers of all these cars </center>

Once we got into the twisty stuff, though, we did less thundering and more burbling - the road is very tight, with 15- and 20-mph marked corners, and a fair amount of traffic. That was fine with me - I didn't know the route, and it's quite scenic up there, so I was checking out the countryside. There's even a couple one-way bridges to navigate.

<center> One-way bridge enroute to Tortilla Flat </center>

Once at Tortilla Flat, I sampled one of their giant hamburgers, while spectators admired all the cars. For the SoCal group, it's akin to the Lookout on Ortega Hwy - a twisty road, capped off with a little diner frequented by car guys and motorcycle riders.

Thoughts on aerodynamics
On the way back to Prescott, on a long, relatively steep downhill section of I-17, I decided to do an impromptu test of the "Cobra = brick" aerodynamic theory. I put the trans into neutral, and sure enough, it bled off speed slowly from 80 until it seemed to stabilize at about 60. I know it's not rolling friction, as THRAMP will roll out of the slight slope in my garage when I press the clutch. And I don't know how much of a factor the hardtop is. (Having recently read about rear-window-retention problems on the fastback-topped roadsters at Le Mans in '63, I have wondered what speed it would take to suck the window out of my APE top.) Ironically enough, I tried the same thing on the way home, on a less-steep hill, in our Durango WHILE TOWING the aforementioned brick-like Cobra, and it actually picked up a bit of speed from 60. Surely the gaping hole that thing punches through the air must be more turbulent than the passing of a svelte Cobra? Must be all that weight pushing it onward.

Return
On the way home my trailer shed its electrical plug at some point, necessitating hasty field repairs in Blythe. I assumed that would be our one glitch; indeed, the entire trip was great right up until I got home and started to unload THRAMP again. This time, the left sidepipe hanger caught on something on the trailer, pushed the pipe forward, and cracked the body. Curses and swearing ensued. :mad:
Bat-Jeff, stand by for contact from another of Gotham's citizens needing your help.
<center> Shazbot!!
</center>
Did it possibly damage the sidepipe/J-pipe enough to necessitate replacement with 4-into-4s (said hopefully, looking for the silver lining to this small cloud that rained on my parade)? No, doesn't look like it. As the wife pointed out, it could have been worse. True enough, I could have lost a wheel at 80 mph or some such - but that's small consolation.

In final analysis, though, it was a worthwhile trip. Thanks to the AZ Cobras for your hospitality.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
I'M HERE FOR YOU GOOD CITIZEN OF GOTHAM !!!...( I say with hands on hips, puffed up chest, legs in a balanced slightly apart stance, ears ...well, lets just say I have two).

Great pics Tim, looks like you had a great time with the "sand in their teeth gang" :D

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Tim,

It was great meeting you. All the AZ guys enjoyed your company.

The trip to the Flats in January is usually devoid of traffic, so getting there is more fun. However, with the unusally warm day it brought out every bike and boat and tourist in the state.

Glad you got to sample the road up to Yarnell. Most of the turns there are taken about 70 to 75MPH.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Car in the rear... Bob's EM
Next Mike and Danielle's ERA
Copper collored car Karls BB Chevy NAF

The others are to small for my old eyes..

The one in front of Karl might be Dave green FFR
The blue one possibly Bernardo's FFR.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
Hey, I was wondering who owned the "trailer queen" that I passed W/B on the 91 in Riverside yesterday.

Beautiful color! Sorry about your body - but I'm sure Jeff can fix it up as good as new

(I was in the silver & black one)

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John - cool, I wondered if that was someone I "knew". BTW, I noticed your trunk lid was unfastened, but had no way to tell ya. Hope it didn't do any damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts