Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
FFCobra Website Stalker
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my best to social distance during these strange times, but my wife and I are taking advantage of the beautiful weather, lack of office time and reduced traffic. We've taken a number of drives in the Cobra and it's been great therapy. I'm pretty sure I've gotten the "Stink Eye" from a few folks on the road in between the normal "Thumbs Up" from others.
Trying not to be insensitive to the general population, but to me it seems harmless to others. What are your thoughts? Am I being insensitive and reckless?

-Greg

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
We finally had some nice weather today. 68*, sunny, beautiful. I was out for a couple of hours today. I didn't notice anyone giving me the stink eye. And even if I did, I would just smile and wave. :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
In my mind, as long as you're not going in to visit establishments or hang out with the car club when out, there's no harm in taking a spin in my mind. Heck, I get the family out in the truck every once in a while to keep us all from going stir crazy. And yes, I take the roadster out multiple times each week since this has all started just for sanity's sake.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I am quarantined & so its the car. Using the time to do a fifth year replace, repair & upgrade so the car is sitting on jackstands looking sad. Work on it a few hours a day & hope to be done in a few weeks.

Fortunately have another 2 seat Roadster to run the NC moonshiner roads with the top down during the virus timeout. Have 280 miles of the 1200 mile recommended breakin done, starting to get a tan so all is well in the sunny south.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Getting out and about as well. Just don't get pulled over for speeding!
It is a great time to do some work on our cars, there is always something that needs cleaning or greasing.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
My poor old car had not moved and only gathered dust since it got parked in the house garage after an autocross last September.

Friday afternoon was sunny and 70 degrees and I had not been off the property for 12 days. I decided I needed a break, pulled it down to the shop, hosed it off and went on a 48 mile drive to nowhere in particular on some nice country roads. I think it did us both some good :)

Cheers,
Jeff

·
3,558 Posts
There are some great roads in your neck of the woods Jeff!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Some discussion going on about this subject here in SE Michigan. Where there are hobby cars in nearly every garage. The Michigan State Police has said specifically that joy riding or cruising is not allowed per the stay at home order. Also said they won't be stopping anyone to ask where they're going. But pretty clear how we're supposed to behave. Saw a few motorcycles out and about yesterday (getting groceries??) but a pretty busy road goes by our place and looks like people are following the rules. The state just came out with guidelines allowing boaters to do their thing with specific limitations. That after they had complained a lot. Similar discussion going on with golfing. Maybe us car guys will get some relief. Meanwhile, mine are mostly staying in the garage.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Trying not to be insensitive to the general population, but to me it seems harmless to others. What are your thoughts? Am I being insensitive and reckless?

Atlantacobra – Hi Greg,

I know the virus rules over here in the UK are slightly different, but, for what it is worth, here is my take on it.

We have social distancing too, but that is the second part of the main message, which is stay at home.

Before the lockdown became official, I was following the general advice to stop unnecessary journeys.

So, I only used my car for short trips to the store, or to drop off supplies to my mum, who is in her 80s.

However, our lockdown was accompanied by emotional video messages from health workers who were already struggling.

Since then, my car has stayed parked, as even though I knew I was only going 1.3 miles to the store, it looked like I was out for a cruise.

You are certainly not being reckless in terms of putting yourself, your wife or others at risk from Covid-19.

There is a slight risk that you might suffer a breakdown or accident that could be a distraction for emergency services when they have more important things to do, but again, hardly reckless.

However, IMHO, enjoying the sunshine in a car that looks like a million dollars will fall into the insensitive category.

Especially, if millions of Americans are now out of work and the USA death toll will be north of six figures (plus the wider number of family and friends impacted).

Sorry, I know this sounds like I’m being both a killjoy and ‘preachy’, which is not my intention.
(Please see my Best Wishes post in the Off Topic section from a few days ago.)

Whatever you do, take care, Paul. :)

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,173 Posts
I have been out in the country cruising many times as well as riding bikes on the paved bike trails. I am not alone in doing so, by far. On the other hand I've seen people driving closed cars with the windows up and have masks on....I see no harm to myself or others by driving.

Greg

·
FFCobra Website Stalker
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like everyone's comments....thanks. Seems like everyone feels the same as me. Just didn't want to offend anyone as I sometimes live in my own bubble of opinion. My wife always says she like to ride in the cobra because it makes everyone so happy to see it. How's that for a view on things. If that's the case I'll start driving it more in hopes to cheer everyone up. Ha! So in reality, I'm doing a public service. Yes, that's it. I feel completely better now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Weather in Charlotte NC area very nice the last couple of days. Yes, I take frequent "mellow" rides to keep the tires round!!! The MKlV and the 124 Spider. Many thumbs up and happy faces. Open air, clear the head, and back in the garage. No stops, no direct social contact. Getting a little worn out from the honey do list. Painted two bedrooms, a bathroom and the laundry room. Time for another quick rip. Be well.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,786 Posts
Like BEAR-AvHISTORY, I'm pretty much quarantined due to our "StayHome4Nv" mandate. I usually spend the first three weeks of April getting the car ready for the Huntington Beach Cruise-In the last week in April. Since it was postponed this year, I've had more time to do some things on the car that I wouldn't do in that time period. That's mostly just a "Nut-n-Bolt" session. This year I'm replacing the shocks, resetting ride height and pinion angle, tracking down a nagging "shimmy" in the front end, finally adding the final switch to my custom turn signal system so I have E-Flashers, Getting the drivers seat repaired from a small rip, installing stone guards on the rear fenders, replacing one burned out bulb behind my dash and installing a 3-link brace in the rear, and attempting to engineer a better hood hinge arrangement then the factory supplied MK-II cluster F, complete with hood prop rod instead of gas struts that don't last long at all . . .

She will be going on a "cruise" as soon as she's back together.

Doc

·
Registered
396 Posts
LOL! When I saw "cruise" I was think of a cruise ship!! And I was thinking what!!?? Anyway, cruising is fine here in New Mexico. Good weather - 60s and 70s where I am. Went on a cruise last week and will do more this week to get take out at one of my favorite restaurants about 30 miles away (restaurants can only do takeout - no dine-in here).

·
Registered
39 Posts
My poor old car had not moved and only gathered dust since it got parked in the house garage after an autocross last September.

Friday afternoon was sunny and 70 degrees and I had not been off the property for 12 days. I decided I needed a break, pulled it down to the shop, hosed it off and went on a 48 mile drive to nowhere in particular on some nice country roads. I think it did us both some good :)

Cheers,
Jeff
Funny. No comments from folks on this forum about what looks like a butt print on the front of Jeff’s car. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
The time to be careful when cruising, or any time, is getting gas. I've read several articles, and it seams like common sense, that fuel pumps are a source of virus contamination. You might want to at least wear gloves when handling the fuel pump. Lots of hands been on that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The time to be careful when cruising, or any time, is getting gas. I've read several articles, and it seams like common sense, that fuel pumps are a source of virus contamination. You might want to at least wear gloves when handling the fuel pump. Lots of hands been on that.
Totally agree. I keep gloves in my car for that purpose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Totally agree. I keep gloves in my car for that purpose.
Any virus you might pick up will stay on those gloves for a while so be careful what you do with them. I use surgical gloves and turn them inside out as I remove them and toss them before touching the car again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts