Factory Five Racing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 311 Posts
Do you have an actual car you can post photos of, or just the computer rendering at the top of the page?

I'd love to see the body from a few different angles, plus the transition from pixels to carbon!

Discussion starter · #25 · (Edited)
Do you have an actual car you can post photos of, or just the computer rendering at the top of the page?

I'd love to see the body from a few different angles, plus the transition from pixels to carbon!
Yes, I have the actual car. The Driveline is complete and all systems are functioning. Some body panels are still fiberglass, while the finished versions are completed carbon. None are mounted at this time.

I don't want to show any more than the teaser view at this time. I'll show more as we get close to the show in January. I will, however, show the foam sculpture before it went to scanning for the digital work. Once in the computer, all the lines were perfected and models were cnc cut for the new molds. The cars lines are within .01 of inch for accuracy. The sanding of the paint can throw the lines off more than how accurate the panels are.

Here's the rough foam from last winter:

Nice looking car! My only concern from what I am seeing, is that someone sitting in the car wont be able to see the road close to the front of the car. One of the things that Porsche and others have done really well with, is giving the driver a very good perspective of the road. The GTM is somewhat challenged in this area as well, especially with a helmet on since the car has such a low roofline.

Also, not sure what your overhangs are, but be careful of those as well. Long overhangs look cool, but if its easy to take the nose off going into a driveway or gas station, it will limit those who are interested in the car.

David

Really? Do you have a pic? I don't see it at all.

Jeff
http://www.lotuscars.com/en/future-cars

You don't? Take a look at this website. It show the cars that are currently being designed for release between now and 2015. There is an article in this month's Road And Track magazine, that tells of the direction that Lotus is planning. The first car that comes up is the Esprit. The Elise is actually extremely close to the design that you're showing here.

Hmm. Not that I'm aware of.
That's a shame, because Russ is one the best bike & snowmobile engine guys in the US. His ported heads are on some of the most successful competition rigs out there.

It's an awful amusing case of coincidence...one of his most requested products is for a Falcon Z sled... :D

If you don't mind answering...by what way did you arrive at design & manufacture of a boutique automobile? It's been oft-said that the quickest way to go broke in business is to start a car-company...

Discussion starter · #33 ·
If you don't mind answering...by what way did you arrive at design & manufacture of a boutique automobile? It's been oft-said that the quickest way to go broke in business is to start a car-company...
Mostly selfish reasons. This idea started a few years ago when I was looking to buy a Ferrari. They weren't as cool as I remembered them as a kid, and the ones I loved were dated. I loved the idea of the GTM. Great stance, great performance and it had really good presence. However, I felt the overall body design wasn't my cup of tea. I also wanted to stay away from a traditional fiberglass body and the headaches involved in making it right. I also wanted my own exotic interior. The original plan was purchase a GTM and change over all those things myself like a few have done here.

By the time I had examined the entire project and all the fabrication that needed to be done, it made more sense to start from a cleaner sheet of paper. From there, interest grew in finshed cars, which puts me where I am now. No idea what the future holds on actual sales, but If I sell zero, at least I get the really cool car I've been wanting. :)

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Hi Jeff,
Hope you and your Dad are well...its been a long time since you guys came by RCR .....I wondered what you had been upto....nice work...

I will drop by and have a look at NAIAS

Fran,

I've actually been meaning to contact you. You're more than welcome to stop in any time and I'll show you the details of what we've got going. Hope things are going well at your end. 248-328-2222.

Jeff

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Looks nice.

I see some "K-1 Attack" influence on the front end :) Any relation to that Slovak project?

No not at all. The front fascia was actually inspired from a Mitsubishi matchbox car, a dodge Viper, and the saleen raptor. That being said I did see the attack front end and noticed the similarities as well, mostly the flat top fenders. The rest of this car looks NOTHING like an attack.

Love the front of this car, but like how the GTM looks for the rest. If the kits came with this front and the way they look from the doors back they would look twice as amazing.
-Chance

21 - 40 of 311 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.