Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Checksix,

Shoot me a PM. I'm in Hopkinton. You're free to come take a look and discuss. For me, it was the fact that I could build a car on a set budget. I started with $17000 and have yet to get to that. I've been on the road with it coming on it's 5th year next month.

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
They race what they sell. As jack said, you build what you want with your budget in mind. The fact they are located locally, they numerous satisfied customers and they quality for the price waswhat sold me.

My cell# is 508 509 8054 If you want to have a look or a ride.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Checksix, welcome to the madness.

I think the confusion is that there is also a Bellingham, Mass.

I personally do not own an FFR yet. My purchase plans got sidelined by a 12 month tour to Korea (USAF).
I am choosing the FFR over others due to pricing, ease of build, and a company that is second to none. They visit this site from time to time and help solve problems. I see that as good custumer relations. As Jim mentioned the do race what they sell. You really need to have a look at the FFR DVD and the rolled car that Dave Smith piloted.
This forum is another reason. This forum is top notch. If you have a problem during your build; post it. These guys will have an answer for you.
As I mentioned, I haven't ordered yet but should order shortly after October. I've helped out on a build which was an excellent experience but I think what mattered most is that I made a few friends in the process. Really cool.
Also, it can turn into a family affair too. My father in law should take delivery of his within the next week or so. When I return to the states, I'll be stationed about 1.5 hours from him.

Order the kit!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
There's a few guys in the Seattle area too. I'd highly recommend getting in touch with someone and checking the car out. Since all your rain is down here in SoCal, now is a great time to check one out and go for a ride. What do you want out of the car? Street driver, weekend cruiser, autocross, road racer, or show car (or like most FFR owners, a little of everything). FFR and ERA are quite different beasts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
- Great company that is committed to helping you succeed.
- 1000's of successfully finished cars.
- This forum... the community of FFR owners is amazing for help, moral support, and fun.
- The modern engineering was more important to me than a 100% faithful reproduction of the original.
- Donor car concept makes tons of sense, even for those of us who are doing non-donor builds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Devin and Jeff, thanks for the info. I have the DVD and it is great. I maybe naive but it seems that both Dave & Mark Smith are down to earth honest businessmen. There product seems to be well engineered and reliable. The car would be 50/50 street/track. I presently have a Spec Miata that is racing down in Tucson. I will probably sell the Miata and build the Cobra. I would like to have a reliable gravel cruncher that I can have fun on the track with. Jeff or Devin, how would I get in touch with the group in Seattle?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
With FFR there is no Stage I price, or Stage II price, or Stage III price, or Roller. You can start with the basic kit and end up with a complete Cobra. Or, you can go all out with all the options and end up with a complete Cobra. Or anything in between, change later while you drive it, update or customize down the road, and you still have a complete Cobra. Does that make it better, nah..maybe not, but it makes it more fun, to me anyway. I'm not saying that one cannot customize other kits, but I don't see others that make it easy to take out and change suspension, fuel delivery, engines, and etc.

·
4,494 Posts
Why I decided that FFR was the best choice.

1. FFR's frame, subframe and body design
2. This forum for pre-build and build support
3. 3rd party vendors on this forum who are specifically for FFR add-ons
4. Did I mention ... this forum.

Factory Five Racing is not perfect, however neither is any of the other Cobra builders. But, they stand 100% behind what they sell and are good people you can count on.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
ERA and FFR are two COMPLETELY different worlds. ERA cars are muuuch more expensive but when they are done, they are very close to the origonals. FFR's can be built much more inexpensively, have parts that are easier and cheaper to get, but are not as authentic. That being said, decide if you want it to be authentic or not. There are some FFR's that are very well dont and authentic, but they approach the price on an ERA, and I think the ERA will have a better resale value.

Also I believe ERA wait list is well over a year, ffr is 6 weeks or less.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Both ERA and Factory Five make excellent cars and I think you'd be happy with either. If you have the opportunity, seek out owners of all the cars you are looking at and ask if you can sit in them, go for a ride, etc.

I encourage you to purchase a car that was made in the USA. Superperformance and Backdraft manufacture their cars in South Africa, which does nothing for our economy. If you are going to buy the ultimate American sports car, shouldn't it be manufactured in America by Americans?

Eras are made in Hartford, CT. Factory Fives are made in Wareham, MA.

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
Where'd the original bodies and chassis come from ?

While the SPF and BDR rollers are built overseas the entire drivetrain is locally sourced and that accounts for a significent % of the on-road cost.

Deciding on which kit "is the best" isn't easy as they all have differences from each other. It is much easier to decide which kit "is the best for me". 6 - I think you have already started down this road of "best for me" but here are some thoughts that may help - or not

Do you have the time / facility / resourses to build a car?
Will you have the time / facility / resourses to build a car for the time it will take you to build it?
Are you prepared to put in the time it will take to do a build from a kit & donor?
What will you do with the car when it's on the road?
Which companies offer bases or options that provide that function the easiest?
How do those companies then fit into your budget?
Lead time on delivery?

There are a lot of things to consider, some easier and more obvious than others, but once you list them in order and take them 1 at a time the process isn't as hard as it may first appear.

HTH
Doug I

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Originally posted by Doug I:
Where'd the original bodies and chassis come from ?

While the SPF and BDR rollers are built overseas the entire drivetrain is locally sourced and that accounts for a significent % of the on-road cost.

All good points, Doug. The bodies and chassis was from England. But that was then, this is now. Our economy is suffering from outsourcing, and since we have the choice of where to buy our high-priced kits, why not contribute to our economy rather than South Africas?

·
2,203 Posts
Do you ever get to the Bay Area? If you do there is a group down here that meets every Saturday morning. Most of the major kits are represented and you can talk to the owners and get side-by-side comparisons of the various kits. If you have a reason to come down let me know and I'll hook you up. There are also quite a few FFR's in the Pacific Northwest and you shold have no trouble getting an up-close look.

·
4,703 Posts
Checksix...You are what makes it bad, good, better, or best. The effort you put in to it.
FFR support is the best I've seen.
The forum here is the best I've seen.
The people here are the best I've seen.
Your not just building a car here, your adding names to your buddy list.
When you finish your car and take a ride with other Cobra buddies from the forum it can be a lot of fun.
The car is half the fun, the people make it great!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Six

For me it was the frame and the ease of collecting all of the parts and being able to finish what I started. The chassis on the FFR is rock solid and now there are tons of options, 3 link and IRS.

The body's not the closest, but I intend to drive my car and not do shows. Good luck!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Checksix, If I were you trying to find owners in your area, I would follow what JimmyZ said and find the regional forum on the right. You can also post a new topic in the OT section titled Searching for Seattle area FFR owners. I bet that'll wake them up. Good luck in your decision.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts