Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new guy to the site but not new to Cobras, I currently have a Superformance but thinking about the FFR Challenge car as a street able track car.

My plan is to build to my specs not the series regulations. I have a problem with rules and wouldn't expect to have the time to compete on a regular basis.

The goal is light, safe (or as much is a roadster can be) and of course, fast. I expect it to be an exciting ride. Also I really want to build a car.

So I'm reading and learning about FFR cars and road track configurations. I do have a fair amount of track time with my SPF so this isn't a new experience.

The currently planned build configuration, but subject to change, includes an aluminum 427W, TKO-600 or the new Keisler/Legend 5-speed, big brakes, 17's (I like 275s and 335s), IRS but not pin drive and an enhanced roll bar. There's a whole list of stuff that goes along with that. I don't have a time frame for the construction now but I'm not getting any younger. Dreams and aspirations are a good thing.

My current experience isn't with the FFR cars so I'm learning here but happy to help if I can.

Jim

·
2,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....I think the street legal Challenges cars are one of the best kept secrets around (not really a secret, but very few folks consider owning/building one)....They are wicked fast on track, yet lots of fun on the street.

My black/white car (black/silver at the time) was built as a project car in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine back in 2003 to demonstrate the versatility of the Challenge cars for track and street. While I no longer race it, the car is still lots of fun to drive, and has been to Yellowstone, the CA Wine Country, Lombard Street, and thousands of miles around Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada.

Build yours as you like...They're awesome!!!

K

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
I agree with Karen as the challenge car is the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Just a note to remember when ordering to specify the IRS, if that's what you want, because they normally come with what's called a 3 link which mounts a live axle. Good luck, welcome, keep us posted. Bob

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Nice to know that the door is open.

A few questions. There will be more as the evaluation progresses.

Tires. I've seen a few posts discussing cars with 275 F and 315 R tires. Is this a big deal needing special wheels or mods. Will 335s fit with or without mods?

Wheels. What are people running? Standard 5-lug not pin drive but fitting IRS. I'm less concerned about the "look" than proper function, and fitment.

Rear suspension. I've been reading and trying to learn the differences as they pertain to the FFR cars. What are the advantages of the 3/4/5 link suspensions as opposed to IRS. What's really better for the track?

Should this discussion be in a different area of the forum?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Sounds like a cool project.
I'm building the standard street car, with IRS, and really enjoying it. Can't wait to go-kart it, hopefully within the next couple days.

If you're building it with an aluminum 427, I think it would be a neat challenge to build it as light as possible. Aluminum IRS pumpkin, light battery, aluminum flywheel, aluminum heads, light racing wheels, aluminum interior, etc.
Oh yeah, and one of those cool little racing wind screens!
just a thought.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do want it light but need a few creature comforts for the street. My goal will be something around 2,400# wet and with my 160#. Not sure if this is possible or not. This would be about 350# less than the Superformance.

I have the motor, just needs a refresh. All aluminum RDI block 427W, AFR 225 heads, .610" lift hyd roller cam, shaft rockers, ProSystems carb, Vic Jr. manifold. I'll have to build stainless headers and sidepipes. It's currently running at about 450 rwhp and 425 rwtqe; might be able to squeeze out another 25 or so with a bit more compression and a slightly larger carb.

How light is the Challenge car? I'll use as many aluminum components as I can in the build.

I am interested in running IRS, so any info that can be shared will be appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Jim1855: I highly recommend you contact Gorden Levy at levy Racing, you can find a link to him under the advertisers section above. He has built and raced a number of FF cars and sells all kinds of products that improve performance for track use, big brake packages, 5 link rear (watts link) set ups for solid axle cars, wheels etc. He knows what works on these cars. Explain to him what you want to do with your new project I know he can be a great source of parts and advice.
HTH
CB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.