Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Gen 3 coupe this spring. A few questions for planning purposes though:

-When I first looked at a FFcar years ago, I thought I remembered there was a fairly good aftermarket community for parts (air conditioner/heater kits, windshield wiper kits, etc.) but now all my google searches pretty much bring me right back to the factory five parts catalogue. Is there no more aftermarket support aside from custom builders?

-When considering parts like suspension components, will aftermarket stuff like maxim motorsports stuff built for the SN-95 platform work without modification? As nice as the Factory Five components are, they seem to cost quite a bit more than SN-95 aftermarket components go for. Things like tubular A-arms, brake kits and rear end components are what Im thinking about.

-Im planning on a 302 with a self learning EFI, a TKO 500 and a 3 link rear end. Would like also have power steering, but not sure if its really needed. The car will be a recreational driver with the occasional track day thrown in. Since Im not going to be competitive, nothing more than casual track days, I assume the red bodied koni coil over shocks will be fine (unless someone can convince me that the Dual Adjustable shocks are a worthy upgrade).

Any suggestions on the best combination to go with when ordering my kit is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
My take in order, with a Gen 3 Coupe nearly done. Build thread linked in my sig line below.

1. There is definitely an aftermarket. But not as much for the Coupe as the Roadster, and not too much yet for the Gen 3. If you go with a complete kit, and stay close to the Factory Five recipe, don't need that much more actually. Hard to make wide generalizations. But to your specific point, I wouldn't stray from their heat/A-C solution. I tried. The available space is limited and unless you get really creative (e.g. move the evaporator somewhere else beside under the dash) you won't find any of the usual aftermarket solutions (e.g. Vintage Air) that fits.

2. I would not consider SN-95 components in general to be compatible. In some cases, yes. But not that many. Keep in mind the original concept goes back to the Fox bodies. Again, if you do the complete kit, you won't need any suspension parts. That's what I'd recommend, including their control arms, spindles, etc. They've been refined over the years and are superior to the previous donor parts, no matter the vintage.

3. Standard answer (from me...) is don't look at power steering as only an effort discussion. Nice for parking but agreed not needed once you're in motion. But the increased caster the power steering allows really improves how the car centers and drives. I've had both and won't go back. Just makes the car more fun and better to drive.

4. The red Konis are excellent shocks. I've used the double adjustable upgraded ones. Nice, but can't say there's a big difference especially for street use. And they aren't cheap.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Jemorgan,

First of all welcome and congrats on making the right choice on the car😉
Look for the vendor section on both forums for aftermarket parts.
as far as suspension components go, the FFR parts you know are going to work. I have not seen (m)any people using aftermarket stuff in my 10 years on the forums.
I think the Koni’s should be fine.
Nice to see you go with a 302. Looks much better in the car then a coyote IMO. Although we all know the advantages of using one.

good luck,

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see you are located in Kuwait. Me 2.
Good choice on 65 coupe.
The problem is you can't import in assembled kit cars . Even if you managed to clear the kit from customs. You will not be able to register it.
Unless it's a complete running car with a vin# and a clear title.
I built 2 kit cars my self not ff. Never got em registered .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts