Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bled two quatrs of fluid through this thing ( no air bubbles ) and I still don't think it's working right.
The pedal will stop the wheels from spinning when it's on the jack stands after bleeding and the motor is not running. The pedal will still go about half way down and is " mushy ".As soon as I hook up the motor, the pedal goes all the way to the floor and has no resistance at all, even while " pumping" for a few strokes. Is something wrong here ? I think I'm going to go with the '84 Jeep MC. I have no confidence in this unit at all. Any suggestions or comments ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
A buddy of mine installed the 84 Jeep MC in his EM Cobra, and the thing stops as if someone threw an anchor out.

2FAST

·
Out-of-control teenager
835 Posts
Something is definately wrong. Our GN mc, boost or no boost, gives a very firm pedal and almost no travel after only a modest bleeding. Stops the car well, rolling in the garage at about 2 mph. We'll find out soon about faster speeds.

Sorry I can't help you more, but there is something wrong there.

·
Super Moderator
29,434 Posts
Hey Tim-

Is Bonner's Ferry anywhere near Troy? My brother lives in Troy.

2FAST

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Tim,
It sounds as if the seal on the resevoir is not tight. When I put mine in, I had the same symptoms as you are describing. I made sure the seals were good and put the lid on tight and that solved the problem I was having. Although I took the GN unit out after a few runs for safety reasons and went back to the manual setup. This winter, a vac booster is on my list of upgrades.
Also, the lines are reversed for the GN unit (front port= rear brakes / rear port= front brakes).

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2Fast,

I'm about 30 miles from Troy.
I think for safety reasons, I'm going to the Jeep MC. I have lost confidence ion the GN unit and A LOT of time !!! Thanks guys.

@ fast,

I'm in the book if your broher wants to take a look. I'll be home after the 23rd.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Tim:
Is your unit a junkyard takeout or a rebuilt? Did you pressure bleed the pump circuit? My GN setup will toss you over the windshield at any speed (well, almost). If it's a rebuilt, you should exchange it under warranty. If it's a takeout, consider an exchange for a rebuilt unit.

Happy motoring

·
FFCobra Fanatic
929 Posts
Tim, you have a problem. Please don't blame the unit. Mine works perfectly. So does many others. :confused:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me be sure that everyone understands where I'm at here.....
I know there are several of you out there with this GN brake set up. I don't mean to put fault on the GN unit. I'm sure it is a fine/safe system to run. I've just lost confidence in it with all the problems I've had trying to get it to work.
I got it from a parts supplier off the " other " forum last year. I'm sure they would take it back as a core but then I'd have another $200.00+ dollars in this system. If I can get the Jeep unit for under $50.00 I'd be money ahead.
Where I'm at as far as safety concerns ... If the unit is faulty from the parts supplier, could something happen under operation ? I don't know. I don't know enough about how the system is supposed to work to feel safe with it. What I do know is the Jeep system is cheaper and more simple. Sometimes, simple is a good thing. For me anyway.
I certainly don't want to suggest that anyone stay away from the GN unit. There are a number of them out there working very well. I have met Hershal Byrd , who first showed me the system on his Cobra. He has 10 years and many miles on it. I think he even put it in his GT40 for awhile ? So obviously, the system is ok. I personally have just lost confidence in my unit and want to go with something more simple.
With all the engine problems I have had, I just want to get the car done ....
I appologise for any misunderstanding that I may have put in my message. If you had bled brakes for as many hours as I have, you'd understand ;) Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I put the GN unit in mine and love it ! I also tried disconecting the power to it and it works just like manual brakes ..hard but stops.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
I have 4 wheel discs on my car with the Lincoln front calipers. The Jeep MC could not move enough fluid with reasonable pedal pressure to stop the car safely. I tried a larger bore MC with the same problem. The GN master cylinder/booster was the way to go. Even with no power the brakes were similar to the Jeep MC. Spend a little more money and swap out for a rebuilt GN system.

Donny

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Cobra R brakes all around with jeep unit and I too will put you over the windshield.. Pedal mod was the only other alteration..

I believe all systems listed work and all have their pro's/cons.. My only 2 cent chime is I used all new parts and nothing was troublesome once installed correctly...

Sometimes peace of mind is the best fix so while my set up or the GN set up may be great it is the set up that best works for the individual driving that matters...

Do what is safe and reasonable.... All else fails put some brake manufacturer stickers all over the car like the ricers! don't forget to pain the calipers a real cool color too!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Why is everyone using the Jeep unit? What year model? What's wrong with the Phord donor unit? :confused: :confused:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
My reasons for taking out the GN was for safety first. The unit is only functional if it has power. When I installed it, I took it out for the first test drive. I was very happy with the way it performed. It does feel like it will throw you over the windshield. On the way back, the fuse that powers the unit blew. The only problem is I did not know this until I had NO BRAKES! Without the assit of the powermaster, you will not be able to stop the car within reason. Luckily this happened when I was only going about 30mph. It took me over 50yrds to get the car to stop, even using the clutch and down shifting. Without the power, you could stand on it as hard as you can, and it will only slow the car down marginaly. After this expirience, I did not want to question wheter I had brakes on not in an emergency. Im sure there was a good reason the fuse blew, and most likely it was my fault. But I was not going to take a chance leaving it in the car. Hundreds, maybe thousands of people are using this unit. Just not me. I will be using the vacuum booster. This is only my expirience and opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.