Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a list of things I wish I did when I had my donor before I sent it to the junk yard. I thought it might be helpful to those just starting to stripe a donor or even those of you shopping for a donor. Maybe others want to add their own thoughts to the list.

- I wish I bought my digital camera the first day I had the donor. It is a great tool. I wish I took more pictures of the engine. How vacuum lines and electrical lines were run.
- I wish I had taken the emissions label off the car or taken a good picture of it
- Now that I know how easy it is to read KOEO codes with a simple jumper, the next donor I look at I will run the KOEO test before I buy it.
- I should have been more careful with noting vacuum hoses and taken those unknown solenoids off the car.
- If I am not sure what the part is, take it off and hold on to it. After the kit is done I will pitch all those extra parts.
- When buying a donor, look for "home-brew" wiring. Those extra wires outside the wire harness.
- take a picture of the computer label before I turn it in for a new one
- make better notes where parts are stored as they come off the car. To this day my headers have not been found.
- take still more pictures, digital cameras make that so easy to do and you never know when you or someone else on this forum could use a picture
- use more baggies to collect parts, bolts, ect and label them better so I know what goes with what
- get an Electrical and Vacuum Trouble shooting manual (for the right year donor) and use that to label wiring harness parts as the harness is being removed
- keep the headlight and hazzard switches
- taken the fuse box bracket off and saved it

Well I hope that can help someone just starting.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Things I wish I had done with my donor -

Used for riot gun practice.
Tested flammability of different chemicals
Determined just how much C4 it takes to move a car 2 feet in the air.

ben

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
n559br,

I heard that, we abandoned the "donor builds" over a year ago, as a shop, it's just NOT WORTH the effort when you consider attempting to recoup labor for removal cleanup, and prep/replace.
Wonder when the FFR guys will catch up to the 96-2004 build as a donor complete method over the old FOX, yea I know there are bits and pieces they KNOW will blend into a build, but a full on build ALL THE PARTS for just those years, documented as such. The above TIPS should have been in the manual years ago, they may be hidden, since I haven't bought one since 2002 can only go on fihing clients cars, the new manuals may not even refer to the FOX STANDARDS.
I guess by the time the Smiths 'get er done', the 2005 will be ready as a donor.
Not complaing about the method, it's beautiful plan, but the plentiful supply of FOX bodies have all but dried up, unless you step into the $5000 donor value. A few years ago they were on the lots at half that and in good condition, now find one.
I also would note that the 96-2004 V-8 5 speeds are holding their values, automatics abound, V-8/5 speeds are scarce compared to the FOX bodied V-8 5 speeds of yesteryear.

lyonmt,
When you complete build you will probably note the same thing I imagine.
The key in a donor is in a great 5.0, clutch/pp, T5/45, rear suspension/differential, steering. And the fact that the donor also "keeps an organized system" to assembly of the build.
With out this forum, god bless the founders and supporters, I assembled a great "shop manual" for my builds, and hope I've passed on a bit also.

grumpy

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
I just striped my 88 doner down and i already can see the value of what you stated

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
I have an extra pair of headers if you want to offer me a small donation for them. i have already bead blasted them and they are ready for paint.
Thanks
chris

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I wish that I put my donor on my neighbor's front yard on cinder blocks in the middle of the night.

Seriously though, the digital camera idea is the best. Also, if its not welded on, keep it. You can always throw it away later. I kept a big pile of parts for 6 months and just took them to the dump recently when I was sure I didn't need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts