Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run into a situation where there is a spark from the thermostat housing to the frame when the engine is cranking?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Try installing a heavy gauge wire from the engine block to the frame, permanently.

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Yeah....that sounds like an issue with the ground from the engine to the chassis. You don't happen to have the coil packs mounted to the chassis instead of the engine on your car? Or forgot to ground one of the engine harness ground loops to the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine is grounded to the frame 1/0 cable goes from bolt hole above engine mounting bracket to the frame where the left engine mount attaches to the frame. The heads are both grounded with 12 gauge wire. The coils are in stock position on the valve covers. I also ran a jumper cable from the right head to the ground post on the battery. None of this helped. I am wondering if the thermostat housing is too close to the frame and causing a spark similar to hooking up the battery ground cable. I have a different housing coming that I hope will give me a little more of a gap. I checked with a feeler gauge and it seems to have only .003" right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks you guys for helping.
I'll post some pictures this afternoon (or at least try to). I'll get a pic of the wiring and the gap by the water outlet housing. Do you think I should try a video of how it sparks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. the chassis is grounded to the battery in the front of the car. I used the supplied mesh strap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts