Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran no t-stat last summer for the first 500 miles on the new engine following the builders lead. The eclectic fans only came on at high temp days at a stop in traffic or very hot run times but for a very short period.

Added a 180 t-stat over the winter and now the electric fans will not shut off? Just added the 200 on 185 off painless temp switch and still no luck. With all the talk about exploding fans I hate having them on when not needed?

any ideas.. I guess a manual switch in line under the dash but why have a Temp-sensor if it is not going to work.?

·
Charter Member
972 Posts
I got a temp switch from NAPA factory set to 195, and I have a 180 thermostat. My fan never shut off. I broke the seal on the adjustment screw and reset it so that now the fan only runs when the car is at low speed or stopped on warm days. No problems since.
Don't trust the stated setting on the switch.

Dennis B.

·
4,494 Posts
I tried temp switch and never could get it to work right. Installed manual toggle switch, works perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Joe, you need more separation between the fan switch setting and the thermostat. The differentials on the two are overlapping. If you want to run a 180 thermostat, try to find an adjustable fan switch and set it to switch off about 5 degrees above the thermostat opening temp.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joe joe..

thought the higher temp painless would do just that.. 200 on and 185 off...

no go like you mentioned I believe 5 degrees is too close and it wont shut off....

Adding the toggle this weekend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.