Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Been reading posts on thermo housing (problems etc.), and just got mine. Made in China!!
Decided to check the fit of my thermostat in the housing and find the recess has a generous diameter. About 1/16" larger circle than the dia.
of the thermo itself. I'm NEW, so is this loose fit of the thermo in the housing O.K. or poor part machining? Get a Ford part? Or put a little sealant at edges of thermo to hold centered during install?
Thanks for the help.
Dan

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Drill a 1/8 hole in the thermostat, not the housing. Glue the thermostat into the housing with RTV put the 1/8 hole at the 12 O'clock position. Some thermostats have a rubber gasket that fits over the edge of the thermostat. This gasket gives it a tight fit in the housing. The RTV replicates this gasket..

Michael S.

·
Junior Charter Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael, Thanks for the instructions. Not sure exactly where you want me to drill the 1/8 hole
in/on the thermostat. More infor please? The rest I understand. (What does the hole do?)
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It's an air bleed not totally necessary but it helps. Drill the hole in the outer ring about 1/4"-5/16" from the edge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts