Factory Five Racing Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
You normally need to drop the gas tank in order to remove the body? Damn, that's a terrible design. In that case, Jeff!

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Ahh. That makes sense.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The lower PS bolt is the main issue even without the drop box mod because of the gas tank

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Jeff sent me a message, so I’ll be doing that soon.
I want to paint my engine bay panels. I see in the manual the wheel well splash guard and radiator panels aren’t installed until the body is put. Is it required to do it like that or can I get those on right after I button up the suspension and radiator components? I’d prefer to be able to prep and paint ALL of the panels at once, if possible.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm using the replicaparts radiator aluminum. for the "elephant ears", you might need to trim them a bit to get a perfect fit, so I'd wait until after you get the body on to fit them. are you planning on rattle can paint or powder coat?

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I’m going to rattle can satin black. So it sounds like I need to get the body on, fit that, then take it off and the panels I want to paint?

What’re the advantages of the panels you are using Chewy?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mike Everson's (replicparts) radiator nose aluminum is a sleeker, one piece, aluminum panel for the front. I'm going to leave it a brushed aluminum color. you can google pics of finished cars w/ this panel in. just a cleaner look than the factory provided aluminum panels IMO. I painted my engine bay panels with hammered metallic silver rustoleum, and the wheel well panels with spray on truck bed liner. I'll need to touch up the elephant ears because it started to flake off when I was trimming the panels.
you can paint all the panels at once. just keep in mind that you'll likely need to trim the elephant ears to fit and you can't really put the body on with those splash guards in place.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I finally got around to rerouting that brake line and installing the batter box. I chose to rivet the box in instead of using the bolts. I didn’t have a tap, but I added an extra river hole. Should hold decently well, yeah?

Next up is installing the cubby storage from Breeze and trying to do the QJ mod.

8AD20AED-37A7-4153-9537-2B2DE4102375.jpeg

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
so it's attached w/ only 3 rivets to the x member and 3 to the 4" tube?
I'd consider adding a few more rivets for cheap insurance. the 1/4" bolt that goes into the 4" tube is much stronger than any rivet.
I actually ripped off my battery box when my jack slipped off my 4" tube while jacking the car up, shearing off 5 SS rivets and both bolts. Just be careful in the future as something like this will also likely mess up your brake line.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Oof that’s rough. I’ll just make a point to not jack up near that and instead, maybe using the suspension as a jack point. I wish we could use the quick jacks for actual jacking. Too bad they aren’t strong enough.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I’m just noticing that there do not appear to be any panels for the inside upper trunk area. Only for the outside. Is this normal?
8620E92A-03B4-4711-85A5-130FD3A3D2DB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Well that’s incredibly stupid. Why wouldn’t that panel be included?? There are significant gaps in the panels that cannot be sealed easily. Not to mention, the lower level of the trunk included those panels.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Yeah, I don’t think being an asshole is helpful or necessary. There’s nothing wrong with questioning things, Rich.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts