Factory Five Racing Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
So I've unpacked the remaining cockpit and trunk aluminum panels and am wondering if there is an ideal sequence of events for installing and fitting these to reduce installing and removing as I wire and line brakes, etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I went ahead and attached all my cockpit panels before doing my brake and fuel lines. Save the rear cockpit wall panel for last, as you won't be able to rivet the upper trunk panel easily with the rear panel on. I'd drill and cleco everything at once. saves on the cleaning of aluminum shrapnel everywhere. Seems like once you think you're done drilling metal, there's one or two more things to drill. Try not to install anything that would make it harder to reach something else. I'd run the rear brake lines before installing trunk panels.

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I don't really mind the cleaning up seeing as I clean up my garage everyday after I am finished. I hate having a dirty shop, it just makes everything dirtier. Yeah, I figured I should just drill and cleo everything anyway, but I'm glad you mentioned not doing the trunk prior to the brake lines. I thought twice about doing that.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Last night I spent a couple hours fitting and lying out the shipment of aluminum and was able to get a few pieces in the cockpit. The cockpit is finally starting to look more like a car.

Sadly, I had to redrill the DS outside corner because I didn’t have it fitted quite right. From behind it looks ugly, but it should be well hidden.
DA6D4E38-874A-43E0-A1C8-ADD98CA2DDCA.jpeg

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I quickly got over the disappointment of drilling an unnecessary hole in my panels or frame. just think of it as "speed holes" that will make your build lighter and faster 😁

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Haha I’m all for the weight savings.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts