Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I find it a little strange that the build manual says for the seat pans to not rivet the floor and only silicone, but then in the pictures you see them riveted. I'm inclined to rivet ultimately everything, which probably needs I need to buy more rivets. Any suggestions?

I also see 2 different sized rivets. I know the 1/8" rivets are used for the panels. What about the 5/16" rivets?

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
I find it a little strange that the build manual says for the seat pans to not rivet the floor and only silicone, but then in the pictures you see them riveted. I'm inclined to rivet ultimately everything, which probably needs I need to buy more rivets. Any suggestions?

I also see 2 different sized rivets. I know the 1/8" rivets are used for the panels. What about the 5/16" rivets?
[/QUO

Typically the smaller rivites are used. Aluminum and such and used in the small thinner square framing.

The bigger can be use when you need something stronger more support and typically used in the heavier bigger frame.

Send a pic of the what you are referring to about not riveting.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts

There are also long and short rivets

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts

There are also long and short rivets

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I used mostly the 1/8 rivets to hold aluminum panels to each other and the frame. The larger rivets are called out in the manual for brake/ fuel line clamps and wiring loom clamps.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Ahhh. So I’m guessing the short rivets then would be for panel to panel and the long rivets for panel to frame?

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Ahhh. So I’m guessing the short rivets then would be for panel to panel and the long rivets for panel to frame?
Good thought process. Think about the back side of what your riveting.

For instance
Do you want the head of the river showing in the engine bay. Yes. However the other end it going into the footbox with carpet. The shorter rivet would be better.

If the other end is going into frame not so much of a concern.

Do you need more support?

For most of the build the short 1/8 rivets are ideal. I had to buy more.

For the most part with the exception of a couple spots that call for heavier hardware it is not going to matter much.

Jason

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So it looks like the fuel pump for my engine is on the driver side. I'm guessing the smartest thing to do would be to run the fuel lines up the passenger side, up the inside of the passenger footbox, then across the firewall to a "junction point" for the rubber line to go to the carb?

Any reason I should go with 2 reservoirs for the brake system for each master or just use a Y in the line?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
So aside from running the hard lines, it seems like I am at a complete stopping point. Of the bigger, more immediate components that are on backorder, I am missing the entire list below, as well as the wheels and an entire box worth of aluminum panels. How should I proceed? I could really use a little advice/motivation.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
So aside from running the hard lines, it seems like I am at a complete stopping point. Of the bigger, more immediate components that are on backorder, I am missing the entire list below, as well as the wheels and an entire box worth of aluminum panels. How should I proceed? I could really use a little advice/motivation.

View attachment 361496
Yikes. That sucks man. I had similar thing happen. Then Jeff K. Found stuff I could work on and got me going until the rest came in.

Maybe someone will have a suggestion

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I guess FFR must have some kind of exclusive contract with certain suppliers because a number of these parts are available elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
you could start running the wiring harness through the car. you could work on gauges too and just install them in the dash once it arrives. most people will get weather pack connectors to connect their harness to their head/turn/brake lights. Mike Everson at replicacars sells a pack of the connectors, or you could get your own. I would recommend buying the appropriate crimping tool for this type of connector. I got mine from amazon for like $30 instead of paying over $100 for the brand name one.

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hmm alright. So without my rear brakes being installed because I don’t have the lower control arms, does it make sense to try to route and install the brake lines and fuel lines?

Any comments on routing my hard lines question above?

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Of course it makes sense. You don't need any of the suspension in place to run brake lines, or fuel lines. Same with the body harness . There are dozens of things to work on.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
my only comment is that if you don't have your pedal box yet, you won't be able to measure distance to the master cylinders for your brake lines. you can do the fuel/return lines if you're going with hard lines. bring a hard fuel line to the engine bay on the PS and then figure out a way to connect it to the DS pump using a flex line.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
So I ran most of the fuel line, but I've done all I can now for a bit. I have back surgery tomorrow and won't be able to really work on this much beyond barking orders at my brother-in-law or friends that decide to come and help. This is probably a blessing in disguise with regards to the car, since so many things are on back order. I'll keep posting questions and staying active, but I will most likely not be posting as much progress on this thread.

·
Junior Charter Member
88 Posts
Wow! you are seriously on a record breaking track here. I am embarrassed to say I have only finished the suspension thus far and I have had my cars since July..Keep up the good work!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Haha I’m glad you’re saying that, maybe I won’t be as far behind as I expected coming out of this surgery. Everyone has a different pace, nothing to be embarrassed about. I’m the type of person when I have a project, I obsess and plow through it. I also have the luxury of no kids and being able to spend nearly every week night and weekend working on it.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey bro good luck with the back. I've had two, one upper and one lower back, and wrist rebuilt. It all came out great. Listen to the docs, do the rehab, get back in the gym, and In my case finally removed that target I had on my back and off the Busa. Prayers with you and in our thoughts.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Thanks man. I have just one herniated disc that needs to be taken care of. Assuming this damn COVID-19 test gets processed and sent today, I'll be able to go for the surgery. They have this stupid 72 hour rule and that doesn't work so well on the weekends. It shouldn't be too bad, so thanks for the vote of confidence and the prayers! I'll be back in the gym as soon as I can. I'm only 31, I miss working out normally.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts