Factory Five Racing Forum banner
421 - 433 of 433 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,727 Posts
Show us a pic of the PS pump. Most pumps have a built in pressure regulator. You remove a cap, pull out the spring and remove a coil or two trial and error until the effort is where you want it.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
This basically a race car driven on the street. It doesn't drive like a factory car, you need to 'steer' it at all times, it won't completely return to center.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
So I’ve got a KRC pump with a reman’d Mustang rack. I fully expect that driving this car will be significantly different and I certainly don’t need the level of stability supplied with a factory car, but it would be nice to have some stability after the alignment, the car feels even twitchier than before. I haven’t tried the lower tire pressure yet, haven’t had a good day to drive since the alignment.

Here’s my alignment sheet. Looking at it now, shouldn’t it be -.5* for toe? Their comment is that they ran out of tie rod end adjustment, but that was just because they were trying to center the steering wheel so maybe it’s not dialed in quite as much as it should be?

Craig, I’m not sure what spring you’re talking about, so I’m assuming I don’t have a built in regulator? It’s also worth mentioning that recently, when cold especially, my rack whines a ton when turning, even a little bit doesn’t even have to be close to lock and when it is warm, it whines when close to lock. It wasn’t doing it a month ago before I left for my honeymoon, but then three weeks later, the noise is there

·
Registered
461 Posts
You are under estimating the effects of tire pressure and stability of your car.
Just a reminder, do the easy stuff first.
good luck,

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
Noted. I just checked and they were cranked way up to nearly 40 psi from when the guy mounted them. Does the alignment sheet look good?

·
Not a waxer
12,067 Posts
Seriously, 40psi? It should have been been like driving on ice. :eek:

A negative toe angle indicates toe out; positive is toe in. As I mentioned in an earlier reply toe in is preferable for a street car.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Yeah. None of my Factory cars were even close to that. Yikes. Ahh, yeah I had it backwards. Looks like it’s got toe in

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
Strange, a visual inspection of the front wheels looks as though there is toe OUT. I'm sure it's just an illusion of the alignment to the body because the alignment sheet says toe in. The car is still SUPER twitchy at high speeds (above 40). Is there more adjustment I should make to ease the twitchiness?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
either get some toe plates or make some of your own out of plywood and measure the toe yourself. toe out will definitely lead to the twitchiness you're feeling.

edit: alternatively, you can tape some yardsticks to your rims and see if they converge or diverge at the fronts vs the rears.

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
When I get some free time I’ll do this and get the issue addressed. Is there any other way to add a bit kore weight to the steering, aside from more toe in? It’s super light while driving, but while sitting still and idling, it’s like having a manual steering rack. Maybe there’s a way to better balance that or is that normal performance?

·
Not a waxer
12,067 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
Thanks Jeff. I’ll give this a look over

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #433 ·
Finally got the alignment dialed in and man what a difference! They took the caster down to 7* and brought the toe in to .2* total and the car is so much more stable and easy to drive.

I reached out to KRC and to improve idling pump assist, they suggested getting a smaller pulley, and to improve the feel of the steering and add a little weight to go to the next smallest valve fitting. I’ll be doing these modifications sometime this winter, while the body is out at the shop.

I still have some whine from the power steering, though. I turned the steering wheel lock to lock at least 200 times each way, no exaggeration, and I was still getting bubbles. It did put the whine at bay for a little, but it’s back. I think what I need to do is flush the system, put in the Honda power steering fluid that everyone recommends and then bleed the system. That’ll be coming next.

I also finally got the wind wings on tonight. They look good! I can’t wait to see how they hold up during the 2 hour drive to RI this weekend.

I still need to trim and fit the splash panels, install the rest of the carpeting, address the shifter boot and plate, and then take care of fiddley little finish trim bits.

Other than all of that, I’m just enjoying driving my build and enjoying the free time I have now that I’m not obsessively working on the car. That’ll begin again this winter. Can’t wait!

421 - 433 of 433 Posts