Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark Dougherty, aka "The Traveling Builder" ... came to my house for a 3 day visit, and was able to work a 4th day into his schedule a few days after the initial group of 3 days.

What an excellent experience that was. He essentially helped me with what I was thinking of as "Final Assembly". After 11 years of having the project, it was time to call in the "MAN".

Body On. Hood / Doors / Trunk lid all trimmed, mounted, and aligned. Windshield assembly (I was intimidated to take that on myself), Roll Bar holes trimmed out & installed. Electrical issues worked out (Bad relay on fog lights, rear lights had several issues - but all addressed). Nose aluminum pieces trimmed and installed. Elephant ears and rear splash panels. Hood & trunk latches. LeMans gas filler. Full safety check ... I had done reasonably well in this area with the major exception of the brakes - bias bar was dorked up (by me). I had designed a head rest to mount to the roll bars (original concept based upon ideas from this forum). Mark welded it up for me while he was here.

Toward what I thought was going to be the end of Day 4 (~6PM), a brake issue was discovered. He would not let it go until it was fully and completely resolved to his satisfaction, which translated to 9PM that evening. Came down to the fact that I had not properly bled the willwood master cylinders. The man absolutely worked his tail off helping me. I was there for all of it. He would assign me different tasks, and I know each was taking me 3 or 4 times longer than it would have taken him. He was a pleasure to work with and we got along very well.

Yesterday - I took "SloPoke" out for the first time. Gas was first, followed by speedo calibration. Stayed close to the house as I was checking things out, and ended up putting nearly 100 miles on it first time out. Glorious. Stopped to fill it up again about 10 miles from home off of Route 66 as I had gone through a half tank according to the gauge - sort of did that to get a feel for it's accuracy, and turns out it's pretty close. Spent 30 minutes speaking with a veritable parade of people stopping by and asking me about the car. The first two guys were from Paris of all places, that were checking out Route 66.

Today is a work day for me ... but it's going to be 70 degrees this afternoon here in Edmond, Oklahoma ... so I will be taking a "break" around 3 or 4PM today. I think my wife will work up the courage to ride with me this time after yesterday's success.

Thanks Mark!

David Peck

·
Registered
500 Posts
That is awesome. Congratulations. Mark’s the man.

Was planning on getting Mark down here to Florida next month but my wife lost her job, so the that goes to the back burner again. Soon Mark, soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congrats On getting it road worthy. No pictures of the wife with cobra hair if you want to stay married.....lol

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
"Glorious."

Indeed. Congratulations!

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts