Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the 92 donor mc and after my first go cart ride I am wondering how to get this car to stop better. I dont know if its just because im not use to manual brakes or maybe still have some air in the system. Does the 84 jeep mc reduce the effort needed to stop??? What are some good front pads for street use?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I don't think the "effort" is less with the jeep MC. The key for me is that the unit will support rear disks when I upgrade.

Mine, manual with Jeep M/C still takes a serious push to stop in go cart stage. If I stand on the brakes I can lock them up. I still have to adjust the rears, as has been recommended by many others to ensure good disk/drum braking. When that is done I will do a little with the prop valve.

I have the Hawk HPS pads and the matching shoes, stainless flex lines, and the aluminum bushing replacements - that is supposed to be one of the best improvements for the street driver. I got my setup from Maximum Motor Sports, but I think the vendors here offer the same parts.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
941 Posts
One thing I found that helped a lot was the 73mm diskbreak kit from discbreaksareus. It came with new 73mm calipers, s.s. front hoses and slotted drilled rotors. Just having the larger calipers with the stock 90 master gave just a slightly softer pedal feel and the breaking really improved. The swap took about 2 hours, so it's pretty easy to do. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Junior Charter Member
112 Posts
[ July 27, 2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: F355FTS ]

·
Senior Charter Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I should have sufficient braking ability with my disc/drum setup.

·
1,418 Posts
I've got 89 front Disc, 95 rear disc, Jeep m/c, and Wilwood proportioning valve, Also stainless hoses in the front. It takes hard pushing to stop the car. What size is the piston in the front? 73mm means the piston size right? I don't want to put a booster on, it would be a real pain in the a$$ right now. But I would like better braking.

·
Senior Charter Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I go to a 73mm caliper setup will I have wheel clearance issues or does the overall size of the caliper stay the same?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
F355FTS,
What is wrong with the GN setup? Can you explain?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
With the GN system... Some love it, some don't. There is a Midstates out here that has been running that system for many, many years.

On the brakes. Remember this is not a power system so it takes more pressure than you are used to, to stop the car.

You might try using braided lines and porterfield R4S pads in the front and shoes in the back or the Hawk setup listed above.

Mike

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
A caution - not sure of the details, but the Donor M/C has smaller piston which moves less volume of brake fluid. With upgrades to calipers or switch to disks in the back you "may" run out of M/C piston ability to move enough fluid to fully use the new brakes. That is why I did the Jeep M/C upgrade during the build, just to support future upgrades. It is supposed to provide enough fluid to support bigger pistons on the front (within reason) and disks in the rear. The caution is to be sure to determine if you need a different M/C to support new brake hardware.

Richard Oben (over on Ask North Racecars) has provided a lot of material on the better combinations of M/C, calipers, drums and accessories. Maybe he will chime in here.

My .02, hope that it helps

·
Senior Charter Member
516 Posts
I have the Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade as well plus slotted rotors. I have great brakes. Pedal force makes heel toe difficult to do smoothly. I did one other trick to eliminate brake fade on track days by venting the rear drums, so brake fade is not an issue for me. The only reason I now consider going with rear discs is keeping the shoes adjusted up nice and tight.
Buzz

·
Registered
198 Posts
Anyone care to explain "WHY" the buick GN system should be avoided???? Is there something wrong with the system, or is it that some people don't understand it, and don't know how to make it work correctly?
Please advise,
Hhssss

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
This is simple - power brakes! Stock Mustang booster, diverter, mc. Takes a little bit of modifications to the firewall and maybe the "F" panel, depending on what year booster you get. Put it in, step on the brakes, it stops.

Frank n Sons.

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
I think that Gordon Levy could have a professional solution for most of these problems. Ask him... That's what I did. Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts