Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In typical fashion what I thought was going to be a 2 month project actually took me 7! I never liked the interior or paint on my Roadster. So over Christmas break I stripped the car down in my garage and brought it over to my brothers shop for paint. After over a year of deliberating between Viking Blue and Lexus Indigo Blue...I just kept coming back to Viking Blue over and over.

After the paint was finished I decided I'm going to tear this entire interior out and replace it real quick. "Real Quick"...the words that haunt me :lol::lol:!!!

It's such a small interior, but when you're trying to get everything just right...man, does it take time! I covered the dash, transmission tunnel, seats, door panels and rear bulkhead in leather. The main issue on the long time frame was the leather. One mistake and a $500 hide is ruined! I attempted to do the rear in one piece, but there are just to many curves for that to happen. Two pieces and a nice breaking point did the trick. However, there were nights where I spent a good 2-2 1/2 hours down in the garage looking at the rear wall trying to figure out everything...next thing you know it's after midnight and I got 5 minutes worth of work done! Then there was the issue with the seats and transmission tunnel...do I just cover them, do I make a pattern, do I change from black? Decisions, decisions.

I finished Tuesday night and snapped some pictures yesterday. Here's how everything turned out...
Cobra2 by John Smith, on Flickr

Cobra by John Smith, on Flickr

Cobra3 by John Smith, on Flickr

Cobra4 by John Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
393 Posts
looks awesome. i'd like to do something similar for my interior with tan leather. did you do all the stitching yourself or find an upholstery shop to do the work?

·
Charter Member
644 Posts
I’ve always really liked that color blue.

I want to repaint mine as well to correct some age spots and do some of the things that were not avail when I built. I’m no painter so I’d have to farm that out.

I’d love for Kleiner to paint mine since he does such great work.

Interior looks great too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks awesome. i'd like to do something similar for my interior with tan leather. did you do all the stitching yourself or find an upholstery shop to do the work?
An upholstery shop near me did it. It was the right time of year where he wasn't flooded and could do more custom type stuff like this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve always really liked that color blue.

I want to repaint mine as well to correct some age spots and do some of the things that were not avail when I built. I’m no painter so I’d have to farm that out.

I’d love for Kleiner to paint mine since he does such great work.

Interior looks great too.
Every time I looked at that particular color I stopped and looked some more...I will say this, it's been extremely popular with everybody, women especially for some reason. Usually it's the husbands at a restaurant or gas station that take notice and come over first, it's been 50/50 maybe 40/60 skewed towards the wives now.

There were a group of 4 kids with their mom at Chick-fil-A the other afternoon just eyeballing the car. We both pulled in about the same time and the kids came running over from their van as soon as I got out. I asked the kids if they wanted to get in, which they all yelled YESSSSS. Their mother thanked me very much and then followed that up with..."but I'm first". :lol:

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Nicely done! That blue was my 2nd choice, and what I would go with if I ever re-do mine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The wood steering wheel, the tan interior.... viking blue and a chrome roll bar.... I cant put a coherent thought together... beautiful.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Awesome job. Tan interior is one of my favorites. Congratulations on an outstanding job. And yes, most of us work slower than we would like or could imagine. LOL

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Viking blue rocks! Very nicely done and that interior, wow.

·
Charter Member
1,604 Posts
Mike. Don't you dare.:frown2: You have to keep the green. There are so few of us! :lol:
Yes I'm still alive. I hope you are well.

John O

Don't you dare!
Nicely done! That blue was my 2nd choice, and what I would go with if I ever re-do mine.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
LOL!
Sadly the AZ sun has taken it's toll after 12 years. Besides the chips/dings there's some spots that need sanded down and re-cleared.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts