Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of roofers at my house right now and i have been asked several times about the car. One question stands out the most. Volkswagen frame, right? Mind you that this question has been asked while looking at the frame-hahhahah. Perhaps i am too young to remember when these cars were put on Volkswagen frames and i am really glad that i have never seen one of those kits. The fact that the roofers, both english speaking and spanish, know the kit is in my basement makes me nervous, but oh well. I am making progress and i am not about to stop so they dont look.

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
I remember the VW frames well, and they looked nothing like ours. I would call the VW's more of a pan.

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
I built a dune buggy back in the 70s (replaced the VW engine with a corvair engine). Had to shorten the frame by about 14 1/2 inches. The frame was essentially a big flat steel pan, nothing at all like our roadsters.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I saw a VW based kit last year at Knott's. It was silver and had fender skirts over the rear wheels. It looked like a fishing lure!!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
One big giveaway that it's not a VW frame - the engine is in the front! Duh.

·
Senior Charter Member
567 Posts
Interestingly enough, FiberJet Technologies makes a 427 Thunderbolt (Cobra body).

After building an ERA I searched for a body that fit the orignal tube frame and looked as close to possible an orginal Cobra. I purchased plans for the frame and had a welder in the wings.

My research indicated that several of todays Cobra manufacutures used molds originally made by or copies of same from Tim Figuhr at FiberJet. His reputation for fiberglass work seems to be legendary.
He moved onto dune buggies and junked his frames and body molds for Cobras many years ago. Receintly he was approched to copy an original Cobra once again (427 Thunderbolt).

The unthinkable mating of a cobra and a bug was an offshoot of this (talented, clever, and crazy guy). You actually have to cut the Bug Frame and hide the hollow engine space.

I purchased one of these original bodies (not modified for the BUG). In my humble opinion it is far superior to the ERA that I reciently helped a friend finish. Having spent most of my Cobra savings to help a friend in need, Tim suggested I at a modified Factory Five frame. This would save money and yeild an awesome car.

So I now have reseached several frame designs, and when I have the time I will modify my original frame prints, (which were supprising close to a Factory Five), to use mustang gear.

·
Registered
539 Posts
One of my most upsetting FFR experiences was when someone about 50 commented on how nice the car was, especially since it was over a VW chassis! I came very close to clocking the guy! The only thing that saved him (me?) was that we were in my son's shop and he was a customer. So I dragged the guy outside and opened the hood and he gained some quick respect for the product. Diane still reminds me how upset I was!

Cheers

·
FFCobra Craftsman
607 Posts
I get that question/comment quite often. I always tell them "of course it's on a VW chassis. All kit cars are built that way". Seems to make them happy to think that they knew something.

David

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I must be living right....When on our 3-Cobra weekend , I was asked if the car was on a Corvette
frame?...Answer..."Of course not(you ignoramus), it is a Cobra frame!" :mad:

·
8,350 Posts
You really can't get angry at folks that think your kit is on a VW chassis. I'm over 50 and remember the time when the cool kit bodies were all put on VW's; thats just the way the it was back then.

I always wanted a Cobra (as did we all), and really did not (still handicapped in that area)know much about car mechanic stuff. Saw a FFR add in a car mag at the dentist's office January 2004; after getting the DVD, manual, etc. for $50 and just thrilled that it was not a VW, I ordered Feb.2004.

That is history, and FFR5004 is at SRP's for the works (would have said Prom Dress, but Eats'm gets a little possessive about that term).

Just tell'm that "man, things have changed since way back then; come see what we're doin' now!".

·
Registered
227 Posts
The first time the VW topic came up for me is when I was filling up at the gas station. A guy in front of me said hey there is a real one it has a radiator. I smiled and said thanks but it a replica. The smile left his face and he said replica, why would you put a radiator in a VW powered car. I explained that it was not a VW it was SB Ford power on a 4" tubular chassis. The smile came back on his face and WOW that really cool. He then went on to say "you know I remember when these cars were all over these roads." I am thinking these cars were never all over these roads, you must be still thinking VW. My reply Yeah it had to be great, got to go.

Dennis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts