Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5l and am looking for more power...looking for advice on top end kits, ie. Edelbrock vs trick flow ect. Or thoughts on installing supercharger vs installing top end kit. Pros cons, experiences with......appreciate any input...thanks

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Is this for a FFR Roadster or a 302 in a Mustang?

· Registered
293 Posts
Come-on , Guys Somebody touch this with a 10 foot pole, well Otay I will ...So what is your budget on horsepower per dollars ? as what axle ratio or to transmission and is this for racing, strip, auto cross or sunday driver and per what is your end result for this application .

· Registered
919 Posts
In my opinion the place to start is with a cam change and a good set of aluminum heads purchased from a performance engine builder or more specifically from a reputable performance cylinder head shop. All of the aluminum heads you buy be it from Edelbrock, Ford Performance Parts, Dart or whoever can all be improved with a quality performance valve job, a little bowl work to unshroud the valves and port match the intake to the heads.

Jack

· section 8
5,135 Posts
just mimic the frpp 390hp 302 in the catalog. All quality parts all tested

· Premium Member
2,913 Posts
trickflow top end kit (heads, cam, intake)

· FFCobra Fanatic
4,082 Posts
I've used both top-end set-ups(Edlebrock, Trick Flow) with a cam. Both work very good. Probably lean towards TF a little more. Both will get you close to a real 280/290rwhp.
hth
Butch

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Both are good. I went with the Edelbrock RPM top end kit simply because I didn't want to mess with the pistons. The Trick flow heads are absolutely great but they use a "twisted wedge" design that pushes the valves down at a different angle than typical. I hear that they will work fine with some cams but since the valve cutouts in the pistons won't align with this valve geometry, you can create valve to piston interference if your cam is even a little too big. I found that the Edelbrock heads use the same alignment as the stock heads so I was able to beef up my cam with no issues. For what it is worth, my combo is making 310HP at the wheels (Ford "F" cam with Edelbrock RPM heads and Edelbrock RPM intake). Oh yeah, if you are thinking about adding boost, you really need to update your heads first anyway or your intake and exhaust are going to limit you. This is why I went with the "F" cam cuz it was designed for boost so I could still add a supercharger later.

Attached is a pic of the difference in pistons. The pics come from the Probe site and the one on the left is a twisted wedge piston while the one on the right is the "normal" piston.

HTH
Todd

Attachments

· Not a waxer
12,099 Posts
I'm running a complete Trick Flow top end; Twisted Wedge heads, Stage 1 cam, Track Heat intake, roller rockers, etc. and couldn't be happier. Coupled this with 24# injectors 70MM TB and 75 MM Pro-M meter. Lots of torque down low and pulls hard to 6,000+.

RE pistons: My TRW forged pistons have stock reliefs and allow clearance with the Stage 1 cam (.499" intake/.510"exhaust).

Cheers,
Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.