Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Actual builder now!
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: Looks like I will have to install a heater to register the car in Ontario and I am at the stage where the firewall should be installed. I need to educate myself on the various heaters available.

I know there won't be a lot of guys out there who have installed more than one type of heater but does anybody have any opinions on the various heaters?

FFR?

Whitby?

Breeze?

Other vender?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
Really? They won't let you register a car with no top unless it has a heater?
Government in action. Gotta love it.

·
1,904 Posts
As a former resident of Ontario (Ottawa & its burbs) a dash-mounted heater will ALMOST be as useful as a screen door on a submarine. The airflow and location is barely noticeable when stopped, and when moving is useless.

Rod did a footbox mounted approach (dual, one per box) that might make more sense, I did heated seats that work great, my advice would be to do the BARE MINIMUM required to pass inspection, or to go "whole hog" and put a pair of heaters in that will make a difference.

HTH-
tim

PS - my heater is about as useful as the stereo that I put in FWIW

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The Factory Five heater works great.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
The Factory Five heater works great.
I agree.
The Vintage Air unit, FFR supplied me, really pushes the air. With the newer style one having four outlets, you have defog, and foot box heat. The ball type foot box outlets, allow you to direct all the air flow to the windscreen if needed.
Unfortunately this is not true if you want more foot box heat, as the supplied defog vents cannot be shut off. There is a way around that though, by using a round ball type defog outlet, you can adjust the flow. Vintage Air sells these "Louvers" as they call them. I installed a similar set, and am really glad that I did.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
I would go to another garage. I went through this a few years ago and nothing about needing a heater. Only had to install wipers if I had a wiper switch installed.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The FFR heater is much more useful than the stereo. Thank goodness I made the stereo was made for easy removal using Whitby's console. Fully contained with speakers and antenna.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
As a former resident of Ontario (Ottawa & its burbs) a dash-mounted heater will ALMOST be as useful as a screen door on a submarine. The airflow and location is barely noticeable when stopped, and when moving is useless.
I used the Summit heater and mounted the vents under the dash pointing down. It works great. It keeps the footbox and your hands warm. It puts out a ton of heat and combined with the seat heaters, it's perfect for cold or even cool weather. But to require it for an inspection? That's crazy.
I guess you could temporarily install one of these:
Back Seat Heat Plus 1100 BTU 12V Truck Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am using the FFR heater, with all 4 outlets going to the footboxes. 2 ball vents are mounted on the 2x2 frame member at the front left and right corners of each footbox. Bathes you in heat when stopped, but effectiveness declines with speed. At freeway speeds it is probably helping, but you can't specifically feel it (I'm talking at 35 to 50 degrees F ambient). Augmenting it with seat heaters completes the benefits.

Just about the most beneficial option I incorporated, in terms of driving comfort and extending the season.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
FFR Heater

I installed the FFR heater and have a soft top that I used to drive well into November last fall. I was pleased with how it functioned. Interesting that you require a heater to pass inspection.....didn't need it here!

Rocky

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Really? They won't let you register a car with no top unless it has a heater?
Government in action. Gotta love it.
The requirement is for a defroster. It is the same in many provinces. It is the same with wipers. If you can't have the ability to see out the front windshield and have no way to clear frost or water, do you really think the car is safe for the road?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
The requirement is for a defroster. It is the same in many provinces. It is the same with wipers. If you can't have the ability to see out the front windshield and have no way to clear frost or water, do you really think the car is safe for the road?
I didn't have the "defrost" holes cut in the body until recently...long after the car was registered and licenced for the road...defroster was not required here. As for driving without the ability to see out the windshield:001_rolleyes:....you are correct...unsafe...and this didn't require much thinking!!!!:evil:

Rocky

·
Registered
809 Posts
No Heater here

I registered my Mark 4 in march of this year in Ottawa and it has no heater. The issue was never raised at the Inspection Garage I took it to.

According to the MTO

Minimum equipment requirement references in the Highway Traffic Act are as follows:

Section 62 - Lamps & Turn Signals

Section 64 - Brakes

Section 66 - Mirrors, Windshield Wipers, Odometer & Fenders/Mudguards

Section 69 - Tires

Section 72 - Safety Glass

Section 75 - Muffler & horn

Section 103 - Reflectors

Section 106 - Seat belt assemblies

Section 142 - Brake lamp

This is the link to the Ontario traffic act and I see nothing there about heaters.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8

·
Actual builder now!
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well OK maybe you can get it registered without a defroster/heater or maybe it is something your particular mechanic deems it a necessity for a safety but now I have decided to put one in I am more interested in people's experiences with the various models out there. Didn't mean this thread to become a legal debate.
So, also like to know if everything you need came with the different heater kits.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well OK maybe you can get it registered without a defroster/heater or maybe it is something your particular mechanic deems it a necessity for a safety but now I have decided to put one in I am more interested in people's experiences with the various models out there. Didn't mean this thread to become a legal debate.
So, also like to know if everything you need came with the different heater kits.
Everything came with the Factory Five kit. Get it you won't be sorry.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.