Factory Five Racing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,239 Posts
I have a question, I see the tow fittings on the front of the 4" frame rails. Are they there to tow via winch the car into a trailer, or a tow strap at the track (even though your car looks too good for track duty)? I have the same set-up for winching my MKII into a trailer at the track, but thought they weren't low enough not to cause body damage if I needed a tow off track. I always thought if necessary a tow strap would work on my full length roll-bar. The two times I broke on track, I was able to get back to the paddock under power. Super job on the build!

tim

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have a question, I see the tow fittings on the front of the 4" frame rails. Are they there to tow via winch the car into a trailer, or a tow strap at the track (even though your car looks too good for track duty)? I have the same set-up for winching my MKII into a trailer at the track, but thought they weren't low enough not to cause body damage if I needed a tow off track. I always thought if necessary a tow strap would work on my full length roll-bar. The two times I broke on track, I was able to get back to the paddock under power. Super job on the build!

tim
the tow fittings came with the frame, a MK4. I use them to winch the car onto my trailer

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Painting the inside of the footboxes semi-gloss pblack like the originals. Should have done this BEFORE I installed them.

BillD

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
All done. Whew!

Bill D

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
Very, very nice Bill. Congratulations on sticking w/ it and ending up w/ a tremendous car.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
One cockpit corner fitted and ready for riveting

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Progress! Installed the under door aluminum, cockpit corner, safety harness, and seat.

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Driver’s side under door aluminum and cockpit corner riveted in. Getting too smoky to continue. Tomorrow will install the seat, seat belt and roll bar

Reactions: chris n and Geoff H

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Both seats are now in, seat belts installed, and rear view mirror mounted

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Roll bar and seat belts installed. Almost to the finish line

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
99.9% complete. Took her for her first drive but lost the right front wheel going about 2 mph in my neighborhood. Wheel stayed in the wheel well. No damage. Walked back home and got my floor jack, wire cutters, lead hammer, and more safety wire. Got it all back together and drove slowly home. Tomorrow will recheck all the wheels to ensure they are engaged properly with the pins. Sure looks purdy though

Reactions: Geoff H and SveltGt

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
how did the spinner loosen enough to disengage the pins with it safety wired?

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Egchewy, I do not know.

·
Junior Charter Member
227 Posts
how did the spinner loosen enough to disengage the pins with it safety wired?
The "Safety Wire" term is a little misleading. I would not want to trust it to keep a wheel on at speed. That being said I use the SW as a quick visual walk around before driving. I tighten the wire so there is a small amount of slack. I do NOT twist the wire with side cutters as most do. I place a 1/8" rivet shank in the middle and twist until slightly lose. Remove the rivet and put a small blade screw driver in the hole and twist 90deg. This makes a small diamond shaped opening in the SW. This makes it easy to walk around the car and inspect. If a diamond is closed and the SW is tight the spinner has moved. 19k miles and never a problem.
Krusty

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Assuming the pins were seated into the wheel correctly, wouldn't the spinner need to loosen at least several full revolutions for the pins to disengage the wheels? and shouldn't the SWs prevent this from occurring? even with slack in the wire, it shouldn't allow for the spinner to move more than a 1/4 revolution, right?

·
Junior Charter Member
227 Posts
Assuming the pins were seated into the wheel correctly, wouldn't the spinner need to loosen at least several full revolutions for the pins to disengage the wheels? and shouldn't the SWs prevent this from occurring? even with slack in the wire, it shouldn't allow for the spinner to move more than a 1/4 revolution, right?
When I talk about "slack" I mean 1/8" from being snug. You have to have the spinner almost all the way off for the pins to disengage the wheel. There is probably 3/4" to 1" of pin in the wheel.
Krusty

Reactions: egchewy

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The night is cool so had a chance to work on the car. Installed the shoulder harness roll bar mount and roll bar bezels. Down to three items to do and then she’s finished. They are

Fabricate a new closure panel for the cockpit bulkhead (lost the original)
Wire the door number lights
Redo the safety wire on the wheels and check engagement

Bill

41 - 60 of 66 Posts