Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A BIG thanks to Dan Elam and the other Spec Racer drivers today at Summit Point. Dan's hospitality and answers to many questions made this a great day. The Spec Racer's put on a great show along with the Legend cars and an unbelievable Jaguar XJ220 that killed the field in the last race of the day.

Now the hard question: build a Spec Racer or get a Legends car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are more Legends cars but you will have a better chance doing well in the FFR series. We can use more drivers in the spec series. Both cars are great fun but Legends don't have much of an image and you can't drive them to Sonic on Saturday night.

The Legends motors cost $4k for a stock new and I use one a year that cost $8k. The Cobras cost more initially but I believe the maintenance costs will be lower.

You would be able to build and maintain the 302, unless you're a professional motorcycle mechanic, don't even think about that on the FJ1200. Speeds are similar depending on the track.

I have been in Legends for 4 years and am starting FFR this month at Sears.

I will have a National champion Legends car for sale as well as 3702sp, an FFR spec which will haveone race on it after nationals if interested.

Leonard

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leonard, thanks for the info. My problem is there is basically no road racing in southern Lousyana (too refined I think :D ). There is a very nice road course just built but it would take a miracle to get enough spec racers for a class. Dan Elam said NASA is growing in the south, so there may be hope.

They run the Legends on asphalt and dirt ovals down here.

I agree with the mechanical simplicity of the Spec Racer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Generally, you should expect to travel in roadracing. You would probably have similar problems with Legends in LA, I show no events there on the 600 Racing schedule.

Leonard

·
Senior Charter Member
380 Posts
I want to ditto Teamfour's comments about Summit
A BIG thanks to Dan Elam and the other Spec Racer drivers today at Summit Point. Dan's hospitality and answers to many questions made this a great day. The Spec Racer's put on a great show along with the Legend cars and an unbelievable Jaguar XJ220 that killed the field in the last race of the day.
Dan and the other spec guys were very informative.

Watching the Jaguar XJ220 run door handle to door handle with Mustangs and Camaros was a lot of fun.

Off to the garage to get my street FFR ready for some NASA's High Performance Driving Events

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill, I didn't take any pics but maybe one of the others did. I will check.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of the Jag for those you have never seen one:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Lee and Greg-

Good to have ya! It was nice meeting all of you. Look for the pics on Friday. I will post a link in the Spec Racer forum along with the video of the start and the crash!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.