Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's worse than bolting up the thermostat housing, filing the system, cleaning up then turning around to see the thermostat sitting on the bench? What gets me the most is this isn't the fisrt time I've done that. From now on I'm going to hide the silicone as a reminder to put the damn thermsostat in.

Oh well, after yesterday I can actually toot my own horn. That's a great way to relieve some stress.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
903 Posts
There's your mistake -- every home handyman knows that to clean up before testing will jinx the project!

·
Junior Charter Member
181 Posts
What's worse- Having less than 5hrs sleep per night (5hrs when we're lucky) for nearly three weeks...... I hate finals!

But like you said TGIF! No more neurology, no more histology, no more human development, no more physiology...... At least till boards.

But a missing thermostat does suck!! Been there, done that. Dam spare parts :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
It'll be even worse if you:
Re-do the work, Spill, clean up, Duct tape the thermostat to your forehead so you don't forget it this time, put everything back, clean up again, only to find out you have put it in BACKWARDS :mad: :mad: :mad: That'll get you good.

Thats what I did :mad: kicked a few tools and walked away.

Happy Friday Buddy!

·
8,356 Posts
And what's the downside to leaving it out? Just very curious, I've always wondered about the t'stat's function; is it solely there to allow the engine to warm up quickly?

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Growing up we had a 68 Merc Cougar that overheated often. My dads genius idea? Wire the heater to permanently on and remove the thermostat. It was great until my brother and I drove through the valley in 105 degree heat one day.

·
934 Posts
Maintain proper operating temp in the engine and also slow the flow rate through the radiator to optimize heat transfer capabilitiy.

·
Junior Charter Member
25 Posts
Don't feel bad, I once torqued up all the transmission to bellhousing bolts after replacing a clutch and then rolled out from under the car to find..... the throw out bearing. D'oh!

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
LOL!!

Oh, Mike, that had to hurt. Splitting the trans from the motor again, ugh.

I once lost a small screwdriver down into the valley of a 4.6 mod motor. That valley is like a grand canyon under the intake manifold. Took me 2 hours with a extender magnet and grabby tool. Put that $#@! screwdriver on a leash.

TGIF,

John

·
1,752 Posts
Boy am I glad it's not just me.....

I did an oil change once and when I started the car I couldn't understand why the oil light wouldn't go out! Then I suddenly realized I forgot to put the oil in.... :eek:

I always say, "It's TIME and GRAVITY, they're both working against us until one day they both meet and we no longer have anything to worry about" ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.