Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a Ford 302 rebuild from Engine Factory.com and was wondering about the water temperature sending unit. I see one port on the intake to screw in the temp gauge sending unit. However, I want to hook up a thermostat for the electric fan and not use one of the probe types.

Can you use a dual temp sending unit to run the gauge and thermostat? Or is it better to keep them separate with something like this?

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=ATM-2283

Or is there another port on the 302 somewhere?

Thanks,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
That's a neat adapter. If I had it to do over, I might go that way.
As it was, my stock 90 degree water inlet adapter at the front if the intake manifold had a boss with a depression cast into it that seemed to be made to be drilled and tapped for the sending unit. So I did it that way.
Seems like I've seen some aftermarket inlets that didn't have that boss on it. That would be a good excuse to get the egauges adapter.
It might be nice if they made one that was a combo filler/pressure cap with a sending unit port on it.
Good Luck,

·
Premium Member
17,904 Posts
My aftermarket thermostat housing came with a hole for a sender.

Some intake manifolds also have a hole into the rear crossover passage. You can use that for a fan thermostat switch. But that water is generally cooler, so you need to use a lower temp switch.

Some manifolds don't have a rear crossover. You can drill and tap a hole where the manifold meets the head at the water passage. And, don't be afraid to drill and tap a hole in the front passage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't plan on removing the intake to drill/tap a new hole. Its been sealed from Enginefactory. I may just go with the adapter if I can't find another port.

Thanks,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts