Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Edelbrock manifold there are two ports that appeart to go into the coolant. One is just inside of the thermostat housing and the other is on the other side. Can I put my fan sensor in one of these and the guage in the other? My other option is to drill and tap the thermostat housing or use my old housing that had the hole tapped in it. I would prefer the manifold if possible. I have it set up this way on my existing engine, but have seen so many posts about needing a thermostat housing with a tapped sensor hole that I think I am missing something.

Tom

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Use one of the ports you have on the manifold, it will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
The large hole,(1/2" NPT) is for the water manifold that goes to the heater. It also holds the coolant temp sensor for the computer. If you are going to use a carb, you don't need the coolant temp sensor.
The smaller hole, (3/8"NPT) is for the dash temp gauge. If you have a thermostat with a tapped hole, use that for the fan switch. Or buy Fortes degas bottle, as it has a 3/8"NPT hole in the bottom for the fan switch.

PS, Good luck with the Indy Mustang engine...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have mine set up as follows: Heater hose outlet on the passenger side, Water temperature sender on the driver's side, Fan relay sensor in a hole tapped in the thermostat housing / water outlet. It just cost me $15 to have the outlet housing tapped by a local machine shop for 3/8" NPT. Tri-States has new housings already tapped for only $16.95.

If you don't plan to run a heater, follow the advice given above.

Rick

·
2,203 Posts
Or...

You can get the fan control set-up that Mark Reynolds at Breeze sells. The relay is controlled by a probe that inserts in between the radiator fins. No drilling or tapping required. Works great for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts