Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes, and it seems often after hard acceleration, i notice my temp guage (91 stang donor) going down to cold. it then recovers after a minute or two. i think this might happen when its sitting idling occasionally too. donor 302 with heads and stuff, but i think it did this before i modded the motor too.

could it be the sender? guage? any tips on where to look first?

thanks!

-james

·
4,494 Posts
How long since you did the engine mods? Maybe the cooling system is not completely burped, so there is air still in the upper intake and heads?
If you don't have a thermostat in teh car, or are using a low temperature on, then when the car is idling or at normal temperature and you then accelerate, the water gets circulating very quickly, and cooled down fast, because the thermostat is not closing to maintain the heat.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
I would replace the sender first since its easy and then chase down wiring. It may be the wiring at the guage, for instance I had a jumpy tach untill I took a zip-tie and zipped it around the 3 pins coming out the back, it just holds a little pressure on them to keep them all tight.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought maybe it did this before i did the head/intake swap, which was last january. its seen a couple of hundred autocross runs and a few thousand miles since then. doesnt get ever get hot.

i do have underdrive pulleys... maybe the water circulates very slowly when im at idle so there is cool water in the radiator which then gets passed over the thermostat when i take off??

-james

1 - 4 of 4 Posts