Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got mine today...15" 8 and 10s. Very excited to have them. Polished outer and spinner.
Two questions that I have not found answers for in the archives...

1. The inner part of the wheel, the unfinished, rough cast has some small pits. Larger than pin holes but not huge. Not a lot but a few on each wheel. More evident on the 8s. Is this normal?

2. The inner part of the 8s stick out about .5-.75 inches from the outer. I'm guessing this lets them use a somewhat standard inner and positioning is for varying offsets. Is this correct?

Wheels are going on a MK II, 5 lug parts provided by Richard. I've emailed him about it but would value some additional comments.

Thanks,

Joe.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Mine had no pits but the "offset" you make reference to is to obtain the backspace. I understand they will go to a one piece wheel in the future. The offset, was the only thing I didn't like about them.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,314 Posts
I've got the same set-up on my car, and like Tim, mine have the "offset" built-into the wheel that looks 'odd' to say the least. The center casting is rough, but I cannot say that there are any large 'pits'.

All in all, I am pleased with the finish on the wheels, and they have held up nicely to 'lots of brake dust'.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by FFR4187:
I just got mine today...15" 8 and 10s. Very excited to have them. Polished outer and spinner.
Two questions that I have not found answers for in the archives...

1. The inner part of the wheel, the unfinished, rough cast has some small pits. Larger than pin holes but not huge. Not a lot but a few on each wheel. More evident on the 8s. Is this normal?

2. The inner part of the 8s stick out about .5-.75 inches from the outer. I'm guessing this lets them use a somewhat standard inner and positioning is for varying offsets. Is this correct?

Wheels are going on a MK II, 5 lug parts provided by Richard. I've emailed him about it but would value some additional comments.

Thanks,

Joe.
I assume the sticking out in on the inside, correct? If I go with 9s (and 11s) I suspect this will not be an issue since the extra on the 8s is less than 1".

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The inner piece of the wheel sticks out to the outside of the outer. Not beyond the outer. It is hard to explain. I'll try to take a picture.

Joe.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Team III doesn't make 9s and 11s. At least according to their site.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
15s are 8s and 10. 17s are generally 8s and 11s. They make a 9.5 and can get a 9.0 but the 9.0 is not worth it in my opinion. We sell a ton of T-III and they are gorgeous. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Here is my Team III wheel. It's the front, 15X8 with 5" backspace. You can see the inner part sticks out less than a quarter inch. I only notice it when cleaning the wheel. It's not bad, but I have seen some sticking out more, and wouldn't be happy with that. If I were to order today I'd try 4.75" backspace and hope the tire didn't stick out to far beyond the fender as they are pretty close to it now.

The wheel from rim to rim is 9" so that gave me 4" of rim from the hub to the outeredge of my fender. The tire will buldge another 1/2".
So that took me right out to the edge. It's hard to get much less backspacing and keep the tire from being outside the body.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Trick here is to go with "pin drive" width LCA's then you can go with less offset and get away from the "stick out". Gives you a deep dish look. (Mine are exactly the same as these). Nobody mentioned this option to me until it was too late. Actually when people look at your car, most don't even notice unless you point it out to them.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took these pictures six different times trying to get rid of glare, etc. These were the best I could get. I hope it illustrates what I am seeing on my wheels.

The little black spots are holes. The last picture is an envelope that I marked quarter inch markings on.

Sorry for the pictures being so big and blurry. Both 8 inch wheels has those holes on the edge.

Joe.

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
If what I'm seeing is correct that does not look right at all. Hard to tell from the pictures though. I have team III wheels and they are nearly flawless. Where did you get them from? I would send those back.
Raul

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Well like most people the wheels came from us at North Racecars. We will make the customer happy. I have notified Team III and we are working the problem. We have shipped and sold a ton of these and I personally see nothing to fix, it is a cast wheels and by definition small voids are part of the casting process. If a perfectly smooth wheel is want get a bilet wheel or a Cobra R with powder coating hiding all the cast marks.

I think anyone that gets that close to the wheels will find flaws. The backspacing is correct for the front and by the time wheels and tires are on the car no one will ever notice it or the casting characteristics. Cheers Richard.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I agree with Richard in that those look like normal casting marks on the cast center section. Remember that part is not machined. Drive a few hundred miles and look again. Normal road marks will cover these. Also, no one will ever notice unless you point it out.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for a clarification...Richard has been VERY responsive to my questions. I appreciate that very much.

I'm being this persistent with my line of questioning for two reasons...

1. When I took the wheels out of the boxes, the pits that I am describing (and not doing a very good job of photographing) are the first thing that I saw on two of the wheels. It was that noticeable.

2. Once they are mounted and on my car they are mine. I don't have any of these wheels near by to compare to. I don't want to run into someone one day and have them tell me they are wrong.

Richard is probably right about the pits, once they are on the car, they will probably not be noticable.

The trouble I had taking the pictures was because the flash was reflecting on the polished rim.

See if these are any better.

Thanks again for your help.
Joe.

[ March 12, 2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: FFR4187 ]

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Wow, those are much more noticable than I originally thought (even in a blurry picture). I also have the Team III's from Richard (9 1/2 x 17 front and 11 x 17 rear) for my coupe. My casting imperfections are barely noticable unless you get right up on the wheel (very normal in any cast wheel). Richard is a stand up guy and I'm sure he will resolve to your satisfaction.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no doubt that he will. I first need to determine if I have a problem.

Joe.

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ttt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts