Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new pads on my car.

Here is my setup:

Villager MC, Fox front rotor with Performance friction pads, TB T-coupe rear brakes with regular Wagner pads. No prop valve.

My setup works really good, the front pads are almost dust free but my rear are making a
lot of it.

For those who have a similar setp, what rear pads are you using?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I am running the Turbo Coupe rear with EBC Red ceramic pads. Not a lot of dust with these pads.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hawk HP + in the front, very dusty, but great stopping action.
TC rear pads are Porterfield R4S. Dust-free & great bite.
I'd highly recommend them on the back.

HTH,
Will

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
Turbo Coupe (rear calipers) and he is using Porterfield R4S brake pads on the rear.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I suspect that brake dust and good braking, come hand in hand...
I wonder if that the pads that may not make a lot of dust, may be also the ones that aren't working quite so well for builders.

I have the same set up as you, with the TC rears and fox fronts, and have had good brakes right from the get go..(and lots of dust too)..:)

Keep your wheels well waxed. makes for easier clean up..:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I suspect that brake dust and good braking, come hand in hand...
I wonder if that the pads that may not make a lot of dust, may be also the ones that aren't working quite so well for builders.

I have the same set up as you, with the TC rears and fox fronts, and have had good brakes right from the get go..(and lots of dust too)..:)

Keep your wheels well waxed. makes for easier clean up..:)
What pads are you using on the rear?

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember the exact ones, off the top of my head. I will need to check my invoices to confirm. I'll PM you the info when I dig it up.

I believe they are considered a semi-performance pad, that offers low temp, hi-friction advantages, which is particularly good for street driving. You don't need to heat them up first to get great braking, and they are easy on the rotor wear. They are available in Canada, so I avoided the hassles of importing them. Reasonable prices too!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember the exact ones, off the top of my head. I will need to check my invoices to confirm. I'll PM you the info when I dig it up.

I believe they are considered a semi-performance pad, that offers low temp, hi-friction advantages, which is particularly good for street driving. You don't need to heat them up first to get great braking, and they are easy on the rotor wear. They are available in Canada, so I avoided the hassles of importing them. Reasonable prices too!
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill, did you get a chance to find the pads info?

I think you've got what I need...I'm not looking for a very high performance pad for the rear since I experiençed a few rear lock up before the front with semi-metallic cheap pads

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Bill, did you get a chance to find the pads info?

I think you've got what I need...I'm not looking for a very high performance pad for the rear since I experiençed a few rear lock up before the front with semi-metallic cheap pads
I took a quick look through the (dozens) of receipts, and I thought I found the part number..Turns out after running it on the internet, they were in fact my front pads..:001_rolleyes:
(The fronts are Raybestos Advanced Technology ones, if your curious, part# ATD431M)

The descriptions for parts on the invoices I have, are friggin terrible. I will take another dig through them today, to see if I can nail the rear pad part # down..thanks for your patience..:)

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Another search of the invoices, and a double check on the internet to see if the part number was actually for brake pads, (again because of the poor description on the invoice), revealed that my rear pads are "Raybestos Premium Grade" part #PGD347R*.

*The R is shown on my invoice, but may not be apparent on the box, or needed when ordering. When looked up by application on the Raybestos site, the R is not apparent, but an R is shown on many other links to vendors of them. These are for the Turbocharged T-birds only. They fit the 87 thru 89 model years according to the Raybestos application guide.

So with these pads, I have not had any moaning, squealing, early locking up, or any other issues, other than the dust.
I have the Jeep replacement 15/16" aluminum master cylinder, (also available in cast iron, but at five times the weight). I am not using any form of power, nor do I have any sort of prop valve, or bias control valve.

Perhaps I got got lucky, using that particular combination of front and rear pads, m/cyl, etc., but I am very pleased with the all around braking performance since day one..I have not run on a track, but for spirited, winding mountain road, type driving, I have been very pleased.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.