Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The TALL Guy
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this answers A LOT OF PEOPLE's questions that are 6'2" taller and up to at least 6'6" on if they will fit in a roadster and how well.

I searched and was given the advice to NOT order the FFR stock seats. I ordered the two most recommended seats...the Kirkey Vintage Class Bucket Seat and the Sube Seat

I hope the detail in these pictures help current builders as well as people who inquire in the future.

Note the key things in the pictures...
1) Head height below roll bar
2) Stock pedal box (keeping it simple)
3) Floor space
4) Angle of legs when sitting

Please give me feedback on this thread because my intent is to have taller drivers see this and not think twice about fitting comfortably down the road...and hopefully people see this as a valuable contribution to the forum for taller drivers (and bigger guys in general)

The pictures tell the story...I AM BUYING THE KIRKEY VINTAGE CLASS BUCKET SEATS 18" FOR SURE!

·
The TALL Guy
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shipped and delivered (with covers) the Kirkey Vintage Class bucket seats cost about $750... but after testing them out for myself it is by far the best fit for me.

Hope the $200+ spent on shipping and handling back and forth helps a lot of people in their decision making process.

(modifying is fun, just wish I knew how to weld!)

Bryan

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Bryan, great info and helpful for me. I'm working on a seating decision as well. I'll probably go with the stock seats or Kirkey Pro Drag 41000 model(same dimensions as the Kirkey you studied but with the high back and $100 less each).

Don't be intimidated by welding. Anybody(slight exageration) can weld with GMAW(MIG) equipment and a little practice. Eric

·
Snake Farmer
10,382 Posts
It would be interesting to see the Kirkey with the padding and cover on, as to it's look, and also how much it protrudes out past the front seat frame member. The 16.5" measurement I gather did not allow for the thickness of the padding/seat cover? They look like a nice wide frame, with plenty of room for ones, er, mmm, butt...

I would be interested in hearing how comfortable they are after a cruise. keep us updated. My 6'2", 220lbs likes some comfort, but want to stay "in" the seat when driving a 1G cornering car.

·
The TALL Guy
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 16.5 dimension is pretty much correct. The front lip is where the snaps are located and mate up with the seat cover. That "flap" rolls over the edge and fastens down...16" worst case...will keep you updated upon Kirkey not changing the seat/cover availability date on the 18" model.

Bryan

·
Junior Charter Member
614 Posts
How does the 18" seat fit between the trans tunnel and the door when the body is on? Is it real close or plenty of room. Also does it still sit at an angle or more straight forward?

I was just trying my Kirky Race seats I got from FFR, and will work but my 6'7" 320lb frame does not fit that well in the 16" seat. I was thinking of selling them and getting the Kirkey Vintage.

Kurt

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
I'm glad I'm only 5'8" This thing fits me well, but even I have the seats all the way back. I saw Goldberg in an original Cobra on Speedvision the other night and he fit in there o.k.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the pic's Bryan. I just did my first test install of my steering shaft and pedal box last night. I'm using the Kirky high back seats, extended foot box and doner pedal box. I'm 6'3" and 240# with size 13's. I too had excellent leg room and don't even think I need to use any spacers under the pillow block as the steering wheel position felt fine sitting in the car. The only disappointment I have with the high back Kirky seats is with the cushion/seat covers. They do not cover the aluminum on the seat back and this is totally unacceptable. The seats do feel real comfortable however. I may have to take them to an upholstry shop and have them modified. At least I'm over my fear of not fitting in the car.

·
Junior Charter Member
346 Posts
Thanks for the info Bryan.

Welding on mild steel is not hard. A $350 MIG machine from Home Depot, 30 minutes of practice, and you'll be good to go.

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
Great info!!

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Thanks for the info,

I've been debating on buying either the 18" or the 17" because I have a wider tranny tunnel top, can you take a picture from above with the Kirkeys?
also how tight are they around you? could you be ok if you went with the 17" ?

I am 6' and 220 (yeah I know, need to loose some weight!)

Thanks and great info !

·
Junior Charter Member
252 Posts
Fantastic info. Thanks for posting that. I'm 6'6 and 250lbs - this will help me out.

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Thanks for the info...perfect timing for me, 6'4", 190#'s. Please keep us updated when you get your covers from Kirkey. Karl

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the 16" vintage Kirkey's installed in my car and they're exactly what I was after. I'm 6'4" and 210#, and the street performers felt a little too bulky for my taste. The Kirkey seat doesn't need to be all the way back for me (about an inch of the back of the cockpit), and I can fully extend my left leg now. The car just feels more roomy now, and I'm right down on the floor.

Having said that, a little more foam in the lumbar area makes longer cruises more comfortable. Since the seats are less bulky, you'll need to take you time installing them centered between the seat belt holes, but they fit well and allow you to either square them up or install at a slight angle.

I had the seats in my office the day they arrived and just about everyone who walked by stopped to sit in them. It seemed like everyone from skinny to fat fit in the 16" seats, so unless you have particularly broad hips, you may want to go skinnier than you think. I measuredmy hip width by sitting on the floor and that dimension worked well for fitting the seat.

HTH,

Tasche

·
6,559 Posts
I'm 6'3" and find the bucket type seats a bit of a nuisance to get in and out of on a finished car. I have the Richmond style seats from TriStates and I can lay my left leg flat as in your first pick. They are WAY more comfortable for a long drive than the Kirkey seat.

·
Master "Gear Head"
434 Posts
I measured my "seat" according to the instructions from Kirkey. I have a 33" waist and I am 6' tall. It measured 14.4". I purchased the 16" seat and it is plenty big. Just another reference point. HTH.

·
The TALL Guy
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry there are no updates....haven't gotten the seats yet, it's been 45 days and still on backorder.....

Bryan

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I put my seat in for the first time and found my knees up against the steering wheel and my legs up off the seat completely. I'll get a numb bum with arrangment. What was ff thinking about when then designed this? What can I do know apart from buying another set of seats and having $500 TV floor chairs? Len

1 - 20 of 25 Posts