Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Logan
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to tell a short story on the background info, then ask a question, please bare with me this is a topic I feel strongly about.

About a year and a half ago I stumbled upon a little car for sale. It was very sporty and smaller than usual. I was in a rush however and didn't stop. But it was on my mind from then on. The next day I forced some free time into my schedule and went to go look at it. Found out what it was, year, motor...etc. It was a 1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500. It has a four cylinder and a manny tranny. Not perfect, and in need of a restoration. For sale: $1200.

Well let me tell you I was all for it. I wanted that little car, and BAD. I then had a mindset that I would buy it as soon as I got the money. Days passed and I did so much research on that thing I figured I knew more about it than the builders.

I went back about 2 1/2 weeks later, CASH IN HAND. Only to find it gone.. :mad: :eek: :(

I felt like my stomach was disintigrated. Honestly I think you could have said I was attached to that car.

So, driving around tonight and you'll never guess what I came across.... Yeah. The Spitfire. The homeowner was on the roof patching a hole from an accident with a tree branch. I got out shaking, walked up and introduced myself. He came down and I explained my story, as above. Listening intently as I reminiced about the car.

Now there was no sign in the car but when I implied I'd love to purchase it, he said "Well, yeah. Shes for sale." Asking price? $1500. My jaw dropped. We exchanged contact info and I left, hardle able to think straight because of my luck.

Now I really can NOT let this one pass me up..

So my one question is: Does anyone even know what kind of car Im talking about? And if so, can you tell me anything about them Notorious for breaking down? Bad car? Good car? Anything...

I no longer remember any of my knowlege about them :( So, i want to either (a)Rebuild the stock motor and tranny or (b) Put a small displacement V8 into it for a kind of 'British Hot-Rod'

Thank you so much for listening and please do respond, even if you cant answer my specific questions.

TIA

-Logan

·
2,860 Posts
Spitfires were not bad cars. I had a 1959 Triumph TR-3 and 1963 Triump TR-4. The TR-4 got me into racing. The Spitfire came along a little late in the game for Triumph...not sure if it was ever well recieved. Group 44 with Bob Tulius campaigned a Spitfire successfully in National SCCA racing. Love (which you seem to be smitten with) is in the eyes of the beholder, however. I'd go for it.

As to putting a big American V-8 into a British car... well, I don't think it will fly. :D Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Logan
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction: SMALL american V8 lol. I dont know if the frame or rear end could handle something like a 302... Although I do have one with nothing to put it into :rolleyes:

Im looking for a picture, just a few minutes and I'll post it.

Im so excited

·
2,860 Posts
Back when I bought the TR-3 I almost bought a used 1955 Jaguar 150 Coupe...I still think about it. But what do I know; I let a 1966 Shelby GT-350 go for $1500 in 1972. :mad: Hey, it was a old car by then...time to move on. Follow your dreams.

Seriously; maintain orginality and keep in mind that replacement parts will be expensive. Don't forget College either!

·
Senior Charter Member
509 Posts
Look at the prices of really nice Triumphs before you leap...they tend to trade hands pretty inexpensively. Also, I think the 70's was a very bad time for the British automotive industry/quality/economy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.