Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m trying to finish up the wiring and founf out that the tail light bezels are larger than the flat face on the body. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it? Does FFR have any answers? Can't see having to do a lot of body work to compensate for the misfit.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I think it's pretty typical. You may have to file out the hole to scoot the stock lights around a bit to make them look better, but even then, I didn't like them. I saw these on someone else's ride and got some myself.
They are a little smaller, flatter and made of glass instead of plastic.

FinishLine link

·
3,596 Posts
Just one of those FFR quirks that we all love so much.Goes right along with the off-center hood and trunk.We all learn to live with them.
They're just like our own children,we may not love everything that they do, but we love them all the same.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
This one may not be entirely FFR's fault. Some states like NJ are real picky about the lights being SAE approved. That narrows down some of the options available.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
They're all like that. You live with it or do the mods to make you happy. Most live with it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It's a lot of work for a little gain.
I do like the finished look though, as it rounds off the ends quite a bit and just makes it look smooth.
I'll have to get another pic of the area since it's been painted.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Related Question: Of you guys that went with the finishline smaller tail lights, did you go with the same smaller lights in the front also?

I just soldered on the weather pak connectors to my front park lights. I'd hate to change now but just wondered what looks the best.

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Mike C. What did you use for filler around the tail lights and how has it held up?

Sorry for the hijack Geoff.

Mike M.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think that blue stuff is Bondo Ultimate filler.
I had some round disks of stainless laying around, escutcheons for a handrail or something, and bolted them in place where the lights would go. Then it was pretty simple to skim some filler into the gap created by the disk and the body.
I'll have to find them and measure the OD. Something like 3 1/4"
Blending the filler into the shape of the fender was the hardest part, and I was still perfecting it at the second round of Featherfill.

PS: The disks were coated with kitchen plastic wrap first so they wouldn't stick.

[ July 15, 2007, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Mike_C ]

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
I always thought those larger tail lights looked a bit out of proportion to the car.

On my non-ffr build I used the Lucas L-488's

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Out of proportion, stuck on, and sticking out like a ...

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
...REAL ONE's :D

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Huckleberry: About the front lights...I actually like the stock lights better in that location.

·
Junior Charter Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments. I guess that will probably be a new mod when FFR comes out with the MK 4!??

Geoff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts