Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that people remove these solinoids but isn't the EGR system controlled by these? So wouldn't the EGR system not function properly and the engine would run crappy? Removing the EGR systems is not as easy as other pollution stuff so I'd like to keep it.
Any thoughts on this from people who have removed the TAB/TAD solinoids. Do you have a motor that runs bad?
Does anyones have pics of the TAD/TAB solinoids or where they have mounted them? I trashed mine 2.5 years ago when I stripped my donor. :(

·
Grand bodger
509 Posts
Hi Puddy,

Whilst EGR and TAB/TAD are parts of the emissions stuff I don't think they are dependent upon each other.

My engine has the EGR system still installed but the TAB/TAD and the accompanying Air-Pump and plumbing are long gone. The computer "thinks" the TAB/TAD stuff is sill there by the addition of 10k resistors in place of the solenoids.

The engine runs and idles just fine.

Hope this helps :D
Dave

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have pics of what these solinoids look like?

·
Premium Member
16,570 Posts
Hi Puddy,
Look here for a pic: TAB/TAD Pic

The TAB/TAD are the two solenoids on the bottom with the white caps on the tops. On the Mustang these are mounted on the back side of the strut tower on the passenger side.

Hope this helps! Rod

[ January 06, 2004, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
TAB = Thermactor air bypass
TAD = Themactor air divertor

Neither TAB or TAD is part of the EGR system.Located in the same area is the EGR regulator...This is where the other end of the vacuum line on the EGR solinoid connects to and is required for the proper EGR operation.If you are'nt going to run the TAB and the TAD cut off the connectors and solder in resistors.Do a search for further details on the resistors.

[ January 06, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
Junior Charter Member
625 Posts
When putting in the resistors, do they go in a certain way? Is there an in and an out side to the resistor or can it be soldered in either way?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Cameldog,

They can go either way. For resistors, it doesn't matter which end is up.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pic, is that the EGR regulator above the TAD/TAB solinoids? Do I need this for the EGR system to function properly? thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts