Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
First, I have no idea when it comes to transmissions. It was explained that I should get a T5 with a S10 tail so I can move the shifter towards the front of the car...

I've got a transmission builder who has all the parts to marry a T5 to a S10 tail.

The builder sent me the attached picture to confirm these measurements will work with my build.

I have no idea what I'm looking at... [IMG alt="Click image for larger version.
Name: T5 with S10 Tail.jpg Views: 0 Size: 68.8 KB ID: 137974"]https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137974&d=1605826149&thumb=1[/IMG]

Does the picture make sense and will it work with a 302 and 28 spline 11.25" Driveshaft?

·
Caress of Steel
2,148 Posts
He's showing you the difference in the shifter location from the standard Mustang T-5 to the S-10 layout, measured from the bellhousing surface. His measurements are accurate. The shifter location will be 8" further forward than it would be with the regular Mustang location.

It's not a necessary mod, just preference. It lets you have a shorter shifter handle sticking closer to straight up, vs. the canted forward shifter you see most often in these cars.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I wouldn't waste time or money making the change. The original position and shifter works just fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't waste time or money making the change. The original position and shifter works just fine.

The cost is the same $1650 T5 or T5 with S10 Tail...

Does the difference in length of S10 Tail and the T5 make a difference during the install? Will I need to do any additional modifications?

[IMG alt="Click image for larger version.
Name: T5 S10.jpg Views: 0 Size: 93.8 KB ID: 138013"]https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138013&d=1605899567&thumb=1[/IMG]
[IMG alt="Click image for larger version.
Name: T5.jpg Views: 0 Size: 73.3 KB ID: 138014"]https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138014&d=1605899576&thumb=1[/IMG]

The T5 with S10 tail is .55" longer than the T5, does this require any special modifications? Will everything bolt in and align with the driveshaft just like the T5?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Caress of Steel
2,148 Posts
The cost is the same $1650 T5 or T5 with S10 Tail...

Does the difference in length of S10 Tail and the T5 make a difference during the install? Will I need to do any additional modifications?

The T5 with S10 tail is .55" longer than the T5, does this require any special modifications? Will everything bolt in and align with the driveshaft just like the T5?
You will most likely have to have one of the 3/4" cross tubes in the tranny tunnel removed and rewelded so it doesn't interfere with the forward shifter location.

The tube immediately in front of the shifter in this shot was further back, though this was an early MkII.
Tailshaft length won't be an issue. You might need a different transmission mount - Mike Forte makes one for the S10 housing, or you might be able to mod one.

Also, the S10 tail housing has a little mount section that sticks down below the main case. You'll want to have that ground off, if they don't already do that as part of their prep work. Don't need it in the FFR and it hangs down low, could be a clearance problem. Marked with X's in this shot:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe,
Thanks, since there are no additional mods outside of of mounting the transmission and tunnel bar relocation, I went ahead and ordered the T5 S10 tail..

·
Caress of Steel
2,148 Posts
Cool. For a shfiter, the T-56 shifters from late 90's Camaros or Vipers fit the S-10 housing, if you need one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts