Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help...

I was in the process of putting my fluid in my transmission. I accidentally loosened the upper bolt on the drivers side instead of the passenger side. I re-tightened the driver side bolt, but now my shifter is locked in place. I loosened it again and it freed up. What do I need to do to get the bolt back and the shifter back to normal.

I did get the fluid in ok on the passenger side, but I feel stupid for loosening the wrong bolt.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Mark,

I hate to tell you, but there is no oil fill bolt on the drivers side of a T-5. There are two 'bolts' that can be loosened: the reverse switch (the one with the two posts) and the short bolt that holds the reverse lever.

If you loosened the reverse switch, it should not be a big deal. If you loosened the reverse lever, if may be out of position and will cause major problems if you run the transmission. The only way to really check it is to open the transmission and look. Here is an exploded view of a T-5: T-5 exploded view. If you loosed the bolt labled #40, you could have problems. The reverse switch is #41.

Which one did you work on?

Lilnuke

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
For future reference, the easiest way to add fluid to a T-5 is through the shifter hole in the top of the trans. Take out the upper fill bolt on the passenger side and dump about 3 quarts in the top of the trans. The excess will drain out through the fill bolt hole. MUCH easier than trying to fill through the bolt hole...

·
Senior Charter Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the reverse lever that I loosened and re-tightened. I noticed the shifter was locked into position so I loosened the nut again and the shifter freed itself. I didn't run anything during this timeframe.

The bolt is currently loose. How do I adjust the reverse lever to get things back to normal?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have rebuilt only a couple of T-5s, but I would bet you have to pull the tail cone, then the top cover to get access to the linkage and get things meshed up again. Anybody have another easier solution?

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Mark,

More bad news, you have to open the transmission IF the reverse lever came loose. Not sure what FFR you have (Mk I or II), but the Mk I would make it easier. In a Mk I you may be able to work in the car, but the Mk II will require a transmission removal. If you decide to open the transmission, here is a quick disassembly:

Drain oil and remove the shifter. Knock the 3/16 roll pin out of the shift block. Remove the tailhousing bolts and slide the tailhousing off the transmission. Don't lose the shift block, spring, and the little ball when they come loose. Remove the neutral switch (the one on the front of the transmission) and fish out the pin with a small magnet. Remove the top bolts, push the lid towards the passenger side of the transmission, and then lift off the lid. You should be able to see the gears and the reverse lever. The reverse lever should be on the bolt you loosened on the drivers side. If not, you will have to put it back on. Here is a link to the factory service manual for the T-5 with some decent assembly drawings: T-5"]http://66.96.130.106/archives/2002/09/transmissions/index.shtml]T-5 Service Manual[/URL].

Obviously, before you go to this trouble, try to shift the transmission into all of the gears. If it does not work or you are not sure, I would not start the car. Enlist some help and check out the transmission. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say.

OK, enough rambling. Email me if I can answer any more questions.

Cai

·
Senior Charter Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The link doesn't seem to work for me. Can you double check it for me or email it to me.

I can shift in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and have the gears lock. I can shift into 5th and reverse, but the rear wheels can still turn. This is with the reverse lever loosened.

I think I may be able to open it up with the MKII, but was hoping for a potential trick to get this reverse lever inserted in the right position without opening it up.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Mark,

I sent you email. The fact that the wheels turn freely in 5th and reverse sounds to me like the reverse lever is loose. Both 5th (overdrive) and reverse are actuated via the reverse lever. 1st through 4th work off a different set of shift forks.

Let us know how things work out.

Cai

·
Premium Member
16,570 Posts
Mark,
As Lilnuke said, if you loosened the 5th-reverse lever bolt then it would have popped the retaining ring off the end of the pivot bolt and the only solution is to open it up, find the retaining ring and put her back together.

You can also download the complete T-5 manual here: Tranny Service Manuals

Hope this helps!

Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts