Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • This is my MK1 FFR (Son’s Rally car is next to me) Fords run in the family. So my current engine, a DART363 (6Liter) has a bearing issue. My transmission was a T5. Moving to a T56 6 speed and a 427 Windsor. Has anyone swapped a T5 to a t56 here? I know the shifter will come out of the trans tunnel in a different spot. The drive shaft is probably as short as it can physically be before it causes issues with my 3 link straight axle. How much farther up will the Windsor roughly be in the engine bay with the T56? I just ordered the T56 and don’t have it yet. I have a new drive shaft yolk coming as well because the transmission output splines are different than the T5.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
There won't be any difference in location between the DART 363 and the 427 small block. The only difference is the deck height. Not the bell housing, trans, etc. Generally not recommended to put a T56 in a solid axle car. You will have a very short driveshaft unable to correctly deal with the diff moving up and down at that close of a distance. For a Roadster, a T56 is usually only recommended with IRS where the diff doesn't move.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,345 Posts
I reread your post and I 'think' you may be planning to move the engine forward. If so I see the headers coming through the body as your only problem.

·
Not a waxer
11,629 Posts
The Ford spec T56 is approximately 2.5" longer from the engine mating surface of the bellhousing to end of the tailshaft than a Fox body spec T5 so if you want the rear of the trans to stay where it is the engine will need to move forward about 2.5" This may create a conflict between the balancer and front 4" round crossmember. As Craig pointed out you would have to deal with headers.

Jeff

·
Charter Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There won't be any difference in location between the DART 363 and the 427 small block. The only difference is the deck height. Not the bell housing, trans, etc. Generally not recommended to put a T56 in a solid axle car. You will have a very short driveshaft unable to correctly deal with the diff moving up and down at that close of a distance. For a Roadster, a T56 is usually only recommended with IRS where the diff doesn't move.
Thanks for the heads-up. I believe you saved me a lot of grief. I cancelled the T56 and will order a TKO600. Appreciate the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts