Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my MKIV this spring and moved on to another project - squeezing a 302 and T5 into a 1962 Triumph TR4.

I was on this forum for years and years before during and after my MKIV build because there was always a huge welath of information! I rarely had to post questions because most stuff was covered and could be found during a search. I still pop on here weekly to read and see what kinds of builds are going on.

During my research for my new project, I came across something I'd never seen before - a midshift option for a T5. I remember seeing alot of threads in the past of people stealing the tail from an S-10 to move their T5 shifter forward, or rigging up some kind of linkage on their own to have the same effect. I have no association with the company that makes this, just wanted to share since I know alot of people in this community might be interested.

·
Vegasjack
100 Posts
I appreciate the information and it would resolve a issue I have with my shifter being too far back in my MkII with a T-5. It looks like an easy install too. I just wonder if any of the Cobra Marks have a cross bar on top of the trans tunnel that would be in the way and have to be addressed. Not a big deal, just something to think about. I guess when the sun comes up I will go see if I have a cross bar in the way. lol. Once again, thanks for the information, it is what this site is about,

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the easy install part was what stood out to me most - just bolt it on like a standard shifter. I forgot about the tunnel cross bracing, but like you said, that can be moved if necessary. The product description didn't say how tall of a "hump" this thing adds to the top of the trans, so it may not fit under the aluminum panels of the tunnel top either.

I came across a new tailhousing as well, supposedly better than the S10 solution, but it requires splitting the transmission and that's not really convenient, especially if the car is already up and running.

Even after saying goodbye to my cobra, I always have an eye open for things that may help everyone out - this community is awesome and there is nothing like it over in the TR4 world.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,612 Posts
Yes MkII and newer will need a tube moved or removed. The nice part of this is the one w/ the completely enclosed housing. Over the years I have seen several diy shifters that work fine. The problem is always how to cover them up. In an FFR the trans is close enough to the top of the tunnel there is no way to hide a mechanism under the stock sheet aluminum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts