Factory Five Racing Forum banner

switch wiring help

249 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  paul burchett 
#1 ·
I am using electric gate valves for the fresh air vents. They work by opening and closing by reversing polarity on 12v.

I bought a switch at the shack that is off in the center and on/on either up or down and spring loaded back to off.

It has 6 lugs on it, two on the top and bottom of the switch, and one on each side.

Is there an easy wasy to wire this so that it will result in one polarity when pushed up, and the opposite when pushed the other way?

#2 ·
I would use 2 relay or a single double relay

one of the poles of the relay would be +12 the other ground,

On the switch, one side would turn the relay A on, and the other would not turn it on,

The middle pole on the switch would be +12 and the second set of pole (on position) would be to power the motor (one through the relay A and on to relay B)

For example a basic relay it would be :
no 30 :to pole On position
no 85 : +12
no 80 : grnd
no 87 A : grnd (normally off position of relay)
no 87 : +12 volt from switch on

now on the other on side of the switch you'll do the same thing but,

Now I have not tested this and I think in should work.

Nick

#3 ·
If you have a DPDT switch, you won't need a relay, unless the load exceeds the switch rating.

Determine if you have a DPDT(double pole, double throw) switch, check the load rating on both the switch and vent motor, and verify that the side lugs are the feeds. Then report back here for further instructions.

#6 ·
Run power to one of the terminals on the side and ground to the other side terminal. Hook the gate motor wires to the terminals at one end of the switch. Jumper those end terminals to the terminal which is diagonal at the other end. If the jumper wire thing is unclear, visualize two short little wires forming an "X" across the back of the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.