Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FFR MK4 482FE IRS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm switching from the two light (4 wire harness) to the rectangle LED (3 wire) tail lights on my MK4
could someone help me with how to wire this. I can't seem to make everything work.
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, i'm switching from the two light (4 wire harness) to the rectangle LED (3 wire) tail lights on my MK4
could someone help me with how to wire this. I can't seem to make everything work.
Paul
Keep in mind that unlike bulbs, LEDs are polarity-sensitive. Also, some systems require a load resistor to make the flashers work correctly, due to the decreased current load... your results may vary.. Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Easier than load resistors is to just use an electronic flasher. They’re cheap anymore and aren’t dependent on a higher current load to flash at the appropriate speed
This.

Additionally, you get to keep the "low load" advantage of the LED lights. Having to add the resistors creates the same load as the original filament style bulbs. The only downside to the electronic flasher is that they will flash the same whether or not the T/S is actually flashing. So you won't get the rapid flash if a bulb stops working.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,878 Posts
That is totally dependent on WHICH electronic flasher you purchase. Mine does exactly what you are saying it won't, flash faster when a bulb (LED module) is burned out or not flashing. Mine doubles the flash speed . . . That being said, mine is 18 years old and may not be available any more - bought at AutoZone.

Doc

·
Registered
2016 FFR MK4 482FE IRS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I installed the trailer adapter. Easy, strait forward, easy to install, works perfect. I mounted it above the gas tank, under the access panel in the trunk. The LED are so much brighter than the originals.
Thanks Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts