Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping the dead T-5 in my B&B with a Tremec 3550. I really do not want to pull the motor over the fresh paint job (I am sure that will come in due time). I originally put the trans in by lifting it in from above, but now the fiberglass panels are in place. I want to swap it from below. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a transmission adaptor for a jack. Got it home and realized that it did not fit either of my jacks, so went up today and got another jack that was recommended for it. Of course, they were out of the 2 ton, so I had to go with the low profile 3 ton job. Got it home and put the adaptor on it. That things sits high. I dont even think with my jackstands at full extension I would be able to clear the transmission and jack under the car. Any other clever ideas for swapping the trans from below? And no, I do not think I can bench press 100 pounds, especially in that confined space over my head! I know some of you guys have done this on the FFR with less clearance, so I know I should be able to do it on my B&B.

Tom

·
Junior Charter Member
1,315 Posts
Tom,
I too believe that with the car up in the air, and the tranny on the jack, it probably would not slide out under the car altogether. You might remove the tranny from the bellhousing, thus making it a "little" shorter, and then remove it from the car via the jack, and if worst case, you use the jack to get the tranny closer to the ground, before you "roll" it off of the jack in order to slide it out from under the car.

I hope this makes sense. If all else fails, recruit some guys with beer and pizza....

·
Senior Charter Member
993 Posts
Tom,
I went from a c4 to a 3550 in my B&B without pulling the motor.I had the use of a lift that made everything much easier but it was still a pain in the a$$. You will need to get that car up pretty high but it can be done.

Don't forget to trim the pig tail off the tranny first... trust me it sucks to get that far into it and have to pull it back out.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.