Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Good idea! Maybe even a glass sunroof!

Thanks, Robert!
THere is a company called "sliding Rag tops" I think...
I?ll check that out too. I?m leaning towards removable glass top at the moment though. But first, I have to figure out why the top is way lopsided. I was setting up to fit the hood and the whole car looked low on driver side. I know it wasn?t on the stands and was checked several times. So I got to measuring. Everything on the body was square, straight and level. The top itself was off by a bit. It took me nearly 1/4? of shims to get the passenger side up to look right.

Anyway, fit the front of the hood and worked on back. No pics now.

I had a friend of mine who is a long time body man and car builder come give me advice on making the firewall fit better. I explained my idea and he shot me down. He said it would never stay in place and would chance cracking over time if there is any twist in that area. Even with quality resin, he has concerns. After seeing how much I could move the body around when the firewall wasn?t connected, I decided he is right. It might work for a show car but, although I intend it to be show car quality build, I will be driving it. He suggested just trimming the aluminum to fit even all the way around and let it ride like that. So there we go.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Finished getting the hood to fit today. The nose cone is way long but wanted input before I took to grinding off excess. Everything is placed according to the manual but see how long it is? The radiator is no closer to the front suspension bolts than the manual says, in fact, prolly further away.

I rolled it outside and made sure the slope from the cowl to the grill is right. Once the low spot on the cowl is filled, and the hood slump in the middle is taken out, it should be perfect. Also glasses in the taillight holes. I?ll have to add a layer or two more I think but that?ll be easy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I ain?t quit or gave up. Working a lot of overtime, I plus many days spent in doctors office (had a heart scare but they thinking it?s a hernia now, heart is A-ok). I don?t think I?ll get much time until after the holidays.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
No pics today. But I ground out some of the glass filling my tail light holes. It wasn’t adhered well in some places so I fixed that. Refilled it with some tricks I learned. Then I marked wheee to trim the doors to set the gaps and yanked them off. Drivers door was trimmed wrong at the front and back so I made a dam and filled that in the make up the difference. I’ll have some to add on the outside once I get it cured and turned over then I’ll trim it to fit and set gaps. I have some mistakes to fill around the arms to fix also so just touching up all that stuff. Ill post pics next week maybe when I get back out there again.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ok. Life should be getting back to normal. I started this transition by demodding my 5.0 mustang. The 2.9L whipple will be used on the 33. I ordered my coyote with 6r80 package earlier this week, along with a return fuel system. 4-8 weeks delivery!

·
Banned
469 Posts
I assume that you've researched the size of the case and the gear ratios. The 6R80 will undoubtedly require frame mods and may cramp the interior of the car.

The gear ratios are odd, with 4.17 first gear. These transmissions were a joint design effort with GM. My 2014 Corvette has one, coupled with a 2.56 rear end gear, to make first gear reasonable, even for a significantly heavier car.

If you could lock out first gear, you'd have a 5 speed with a 2.34 ratio to start and a top gear that's nearly identical to a 4 speed at .69.

With a lot of power in a light car, the 6 speed is a waste of space and money.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yeah, Dave. I’m going to do about the same thing. A tall rear gear with a tall tire will cancel out the very low first gear and temper it some. As far as the size, the measurements I found show the bell housing area to be not much larger than the 4r70. The 6r80 ia bulkier but not much bigger in diameter at the motor. It’ll require a larger tunnel but not much larger up front. Best word I get is that it should fit in the frame but will be very close around the pan. Some slight modifications may be necessary there but should be close close. Either way, it should be a kick in the butt stoplight to stoplight with that low of a first, but with nice tall gearing, it should be comfy on the interstate.

Plus, I want true control. Places like performance automatic have great tools to make the 4r70 work, it’s still not as seamless and perfectly acting as factory calibrations. Having it all controlled by the ford computer will give me absolute and complete control when I tune it.

FWIW, the vette used the 6L80, not the 6R80. While similar, there are some significant internal differences.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ok, I think life is settled and can get back on the hot rod! Today, I smoothed the glass I filled taillights with and prepped it for body filler. One more hole I want to glass in but I’ll do next time i mix some up. Also settle gaps on passenger door and reinstalled it. Drivers door I have some material roads and finish getting it ready. I started working on the hood hinge and latch but didn’t finish so I’ll put pics of that later.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hood hinges and latch today. I must say. We always swapped from a prop rod to shocks on the mustangs. First time I ever saw a hood that needs both! Lol. Definitely an, umm, interesting solution for a neat final operation. Still gotta put the pin receivers in but I gotta get a new hole saw. I might go with something prettier for final build though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Today just cleaning up some things. Drilled the holes for the top in the back. I put some large washers in when I put the rivnuts so it’ll hold better for my liking. I’ll glass them up a little more when I take the body off and flip it. Filled a little more on the door front and back since I took too much off when I trimmed it lol. Also trimmed the hood so it clears to open. But I hate the way it fits at the corners now at the grill. See photo. I’ll have to figure out some way to fill that hold. Maybe fill it with the side panel (or trim panel if I decide to ditch the sides for good)

Tomorrow morning, I go pick up the motor/trans/eve/harness.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Picked up the motor/trans and controls today from freight yard. (No room on my street to turn a truck around and no way to unload it anyway). The trans isn’t in the pic, it’s in the back of the truck. Gonna be a fun fit to get this coyote and the 6R80 in this thing. Better get my shoehorn and welder ready lol.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Y’all know I picked up the motor and trans pack about 2 weeks ago. Then my wife got the flu. Then I got a sinus infection. Had to work some overtime. Then the flu got me. Then I got another sinus infection lol. So today I finally managed to get it unloaded. The 6R80 is huge but not as much bigger than the 4R70 as I thought it would be. The bell housing size is about same but the body is wider. That’ll make fitment easier than I was expecting. I’m hopeful now. But I have a sawzall, cut off wheel and a welder!

Hopefully I won’t have to work overtime this week and can get the top on it and then take the front off and start getting it in. I want the top and the front back on by March 24th for my church yearly car show. I’ll bring both it and the mk4.

Pic just for documentation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SVTFreak,

I am in the pre-order planning stage and trying to gather as much information as possible. I am very interested in how your build progresses with the 6R80 as I was considering the same engine/trans combination.

Keep up the good work. I've already learned so much from your (and all other) threads. Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Got the hard top mounted up today. I think I am going to add two more studs across the front. I also think I’m going to cut out and fill the rivnuts behind with some glass and epoxy to make it more sturdy. I’ll do that later on.

Pulled it outside for some pics and a quick clean up. Tired of messing with body. I’ve only had 24 hours of work since mid September. Hopefully life will slow down and let me get more time soon. I’m in no hurry but it’ll take forever this way.

Some progress pics just since I couldn’t help myself. Still have to set all body gaps and finish fitting but waiting until all weight on the car to do that. After I get the motor and trans in, and maybe running, I’ll get back and finish fitting all the parts to final place.

·
Registered
907 Posts
SVTFreak - Hope you are able to find the 'spare' time required to work on your car.

As I am sure seeing the shell outside and the shiny new engine inside will keep you motivated.

Good luck, Paul. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks, Paul!

Got the top fixed down final today. I had added a couple more studs to the front to bring total to 5. And I (with my baby girls help) got the trans bolted up to the motor. I’ve never fooled with a coyote out of the car or a 6r80 so I wasn’t sure where or how to reach the studs to bolt the converter up. After getting one through the starter hole, and knowing the others wouldn’t work there (too tight once pulled up), my 6 year old girl figured out how to reach them through the hole on the other side of motor. Lol. Proud daddy moment there.

Pics for funs sake

My two helpers getting in the areas easier than I can!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
The motor and trans is in!!! And the 6R80 fits!

Right now, it’s resting on the trans Pan flange on FFR trans mounts and has 2* of angle. I will have to cut the mounts off the frame and build my own but that looks like it won’t be hard to accomplish at all. Easier than I was expecting. Also made up the steering correctly, installed headers and starter while playing around. When I do build the trans crossmember and mount, I’ll post good pics of that part for future reference should anyone else decide to attempt.

Oh. Coyote lift points ain’t gonna work. I got it in using my homemade plates but I won’t be able to get the bolts out. Do you guys use lift brackets that bolt to the exhaust manifold bolts? And what y’all doing for header bolts anyway?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am SO glad to hear that! I'd been talking about using a 6R80 / Coyote for several years, but "everyone" told me that it wouldn't fit or would require major chassis modifications. Wonderful to see the odds shifting in my direction for a change.

Please forgive the dumb question, but why didn't you install the headers before dropping in the engine? Is there an interference or something I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree that this is good news. Makes my build plans just that little bit easier.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I am SO glad to hear that! I'd been talking about using a 6R80 / Coyote for several years, but "everyone" told me that it wouldn't fit or would require major chassis modifications. Wonderful to see the odds shifting in my direction for a change.

Please forgive the dumb question, but why didn't you install the headers before dropping in the engine? Is there an interference or something I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Keith
Not a dumb question.

Mainly because my help showed up and I didn’t even think about it. We latched on and threw it in. Ok so it wasn’t quite that easy lol.

To get the headers in after, I had to remove a couple of the front and lower studs on the motor. The header then easily slid in going in through the side and down, then up into place. Had to take steering apart on drivers side though. The I put the studs that I removed back in. I am thinking about swapping those to bolts but I do prefer studs so my mind is not made up yet.

81 - 100 of 247 Posts