Factory Five Racing Forum banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Today, I reinforced the trunk lid some. I didn’t like how much flex there was between the inner and outer skins, really letting that outer move a lot. So I cut 4 holes, sanded the edges to give it some slope to the edges and made some wood plugs. I used resin and glued those plugs in, and reglassed over the tops of the plugs to affix the inner and outer skins together. I patched up the spot in the X that I cut to allow it to relax. While I had it out and was glassing, I used some 1/4” chopped filler to complete filling in Tim Whittaker’s trunk braces.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Today, I built a relay box for controlling my second fuel pump, intercooler pump and low temp cooler fans. I didn’t want relays and all just hanging around so I did this with terminal strips to have 2 powers, one ground, signal from ecu and signal from the Hobbs switch in the Intake. Then there is 3 power outlets. One for the fuel pump, one for the fans and one for the ic pump.

Here’s the box internals.

The Hobbs switch in the intake. The wires will get added to existing loom when I pull it apart for paint.

I had a hard time calibrating the switch to 2.5 psi. It would pressure up way too fast. So I made a resevoir with pipe I had laying around to slow down the rate it pressured up and allow me to get it just right.

Then it just got too hot so I called it a day.

I do want to run this by you guys. I don’t like the hood mounts being just rivnuts. Swapping to the gen 2 hinges, I need to move them. I think I’m gonna cut a slot where I have the yellow mark, slide in and resin/glass in a piece of 1/4” plate the shape of the red box. Then fill the holes andthe slot back up so the plate is bonded in well. Then I will drill and tap the plate for the hood mount bolts. Anyone see any problem with that? Should be a whole lot more durable than the ffr way of doing it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Not sure if I posted here that I bought the gen 2 hood hinges. Got them assembled and the driver side one hit my air filter. So I cut a wedge extension to move it down and in some.
Here it is hitting the hinge

Figured out the angle, cut the wedge out of the same 5” exhaust pipe I made version 1 with, and welded it to v1. Now, I’m no trained welder so after a bit of grinding and putting some body filler on the outside (since it’s gone be painted anyway) to help smooth the surface and seal:

The surface that it’s sitting on is the end I added the part to.

ill fill and smooth the rest later. Before paint (I’ll be painting it, the blower, the engine and trans also)
Now, it is out of the way!

The kiddos and wife are going back to school soon and time should increase for me. As I’ve said before, I don’t work on it when they are home. As long as corona stays away enough. I got the 13 year old watching the 3 year old for me long enough to try to knock this out. But they got in a tiff before I could even test start it so maybe next week....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Finally got the hood hinges working right, and the blower intake in the right place out of the way.

On to redoing thehinge mounts. I don’t like the way ffr says to do it so I am installing a 1/4” plate that will be bonded in. Thisplate will get threadedso the bolts go into there In stead of rivnuts.

I cut a slot and drilled out the old rivnuts. Then I made 2 plates to go in. I roughed up and cut valleys to help the resin have a place to grab. I tried to stay out of the way of where the bolts would go so the valleys wouldn’t cause a bit to walk. I drilled and tapped the plates so I could use a small bolt to hold them in place with a piece of wood to tighten against.

Once all parts was ready, I dipped the little bolts in minwax to hopefully allow them to release. If not, I can justgrind them flush. I painted thickened resin on the back side of the hood flat (after roughing up a little with a long bit in my grinder). Painted it up good on the metal plate, inserted through the slot (using a paint paddle to hold it up). Then I used the small bolt and the paddle to pull it up tight. I used a syringe to shoot resin in before pulling it up to ensure it had plenty. Now I’m letting that cure. Next week, I’ll mix some up with some chopped strand and paint it in the back real well to increase strength. Then fill and smooth the slots and the holes used to get it all bonded.

I also see that my hood has widened a bit at the bottom due to cutting the liner to clear the blower. The front is easy, the gen 2 hinges allow some room to pull them closer together which will pull the front sides in just right. But the back, I will make a plate that will sit perfectly behind the blower in the space before the firewall, and connect the sides using the flats where the pin mounts went on the gen 1 hinge system. That’ll allow me to pull the sides in. I’ll prolly design it out of cardboard and find someone locally to water get it out of 1/16” for me. That should allow me to get the rear to line up just perfectly.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I did a whole bunch today but not much to post pics of. I finished filling the slot that i has cut to slide the steel plate in for the hinge mount. After bevelling the edges and laying cloth in (3 layers) and let that cure, I cleaned it up and then layed in some chopped strand to get the thickness back and some more strength. I used that to fill the holes in the top also. After cleaning up and a little skim coat of filler, you’ll never know I did surgery.

Also today, I extended the mounting tabs for my seat back so it reached the new position of the bottom since I lowered the bottoms. I also cleaned up the glass I used on the inside of the trunk lid but found a weak area so beveled that and filled it back in with resin and chopped strand also. Hopefully, Monday I can clean it and the hood up, throw some filler in and get that cleaned up and start the process of getting them on and right.

261 - 265 of 265 Posts