Factory Five Racing Forum banner

221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
SVTFreak – Apologies, it has been a while since I’ve commented on your build, but lots of great work going on as usual. :cool:

The extra effort you put into things like the gas cap, rear lights, etc. has left them looking factory standard.
( Although, I was sorry to see you accidently drilled thru the radiator grille creating extra work. )

… I know there are some rubber inserts with brass threaded nuts inside but I don't know what they are called to find them…
If these are what you are talking about, they are called “Well Nuts” in the UK.

https://www.kayfast.co.uk/view-product/Rubber-Well-Nuts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

… I don't think the hood is gonna fit like I wanted it to, sparky. Guess I gotta stay considering how to put a hump that fits the overall smooth appearance I'm after.
I’m sure you have your own ideas about how to do this, but here is what I did (if it helps)…

I found some insulation foam in a dumpster and that was very easy to carve for my own hood hump.

This would allow you to see different shapes before deciding on a final design.

The foam then supports the fibreglass matting to create the final piece.

Which was then trimmed and taped firmly into position on the ‘sunny side’.

As the real strength comes from adding the fibreglass across the join on the underside of the hood.

I also added some fibreglass matting to the join on the sunny side.

At this point, everything is still very much a ‘work in progress’.

But by the time you do a few rounds of body work and paint, the new section blends in with the old.

Good luck, Paul. :)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Yes, Paul! Well nuts. That's exactly what I want!

I like your foam idea. That, combined with what I'm thinking, may work. I'm thinking I may cut 3 sides (front and each side) and push it up to clear, then glass that down to the hood. Leaving something that will look very similar to ffr's bumped hood. The foam could help me get the shape of the front just right. Thanks man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Joey,
I just sent you a large email with tips on fabricating fiberglass parts, similar to Paul L's suggestions. Check your spam folder if you don't see it.
Keith

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Joey,
I just sent you a large email with tips on fabricating fiberglass parts, similar to Paul L's suggestions. Check your spam folder if you don't see it.
Keith
I did get your email, Keith. And yes, was very helpful on ideas on how to accomplish what I want. Will Def save me some filler time later on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Last two weeks between doc appt and a work mates mother dying, I haven't had any shop time. Got out there today and got the passenger side hood mounted. Had the bottom held in with bolts from the top into well nuts and found out that that just ain't practical. So I started over. Put the well nuts in the hood sides and the bolts will go up from the bottom. When they are off, it'll leave a hole, I'll prolly get some little plugs to put in for those times painted body color. Otherwise, waiting for the epoxy to cure filling the holes in tbe bottom since they are too big now for the bolts. I am off all next week so hope to get quite a bit accomplished.

Hood side with well nut in it just so I have a photo. More details once mounting is all finalized so I can copy on drivers side.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Worked on good side today. Got it mounted up and gap set. But I’m having a decision crisis. I had planned on having them optional but the head light mount makes it not so easy to install and remove. So now I’m thinking about making a trim piece in the front to hide the grill side and stuff and leave it open. Or make it removable around the headlight mount somehow, but i fear this will leave an unsightly body component. I need to choose quickly. I decided to move on to the hood and then I can pull it out and decide with the hood in place. It would be nice to see all the under hood finish work I’ll be doing, paint and hoses and such. But it goes against the very sleek slick look I am after.

Either way, the well nuts are trimmed to set the gap and side installed, bolts from bottom, so they are accessible.

And it in place after. Still some fine tuning to do but gonna wait till I decide how to proceed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
But first, hood bump! Here you can see how far up the hood is before I did anything. It’s sitting on the supercharger

First thing I did was cut out the liner where it would hit.

This is how far it dropped just from that.
https://i.imgur.com/Gt4DyVB.jpg[img]

Now to layout where i want the bump and how i want it shaped. I tried a couple shapes before settling on this one with some input from friends.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/4UnyGqy.jpg

Cut it out, trimmed the edge to give what will be the final product some slope on the edges down to the hood, made a little bracket to hold the front at the right height. This actually makes it not a smooth slope front to back but keeps the front low and not up too high. Here it’s still sitting on the spacers sitting on the blower.

Here, we see daylight! I slid a piece of all thread across the back to give it some support. After I took it off, I also slid a 1/2x1 across to airport the middle. That’ll keep the shape right while I get enough glass in to keep the shape. I’ll touch up where those supports are after the first bit cures and I check fit again.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hood Bump - And now the fun begins. ;)

Hard to tell from the photo, so I thought I'd mention it now just in case.

Is there enough of a gap between the top of the supercharger and the underside of the hood for:
- Some extra layers of fibreglass matting to re-enforce the joins in the bump from the inside?
- Some heat reflecting material to protect the paint on the sunny side of the hood from engine heat?

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Paul, that pic was taken before I modified it a bit to give me more room for exactly that. I actually may run a rib across in front and behind the closest spot rather than thicken it up. I have time to decide best way while I make sure this’ll even work right. I’m actually more worried about how to the top is going to be shaped and how I’ll correct if it’s too flat.

Here we go! Made up some foam plugs the shape I want it to be to fill in the openings. Taped them on real well, flipped her over and layed in some glass. When this cures, I’ll remove the bracing and see how far what moves and how I’ll deal with that if I need to.

This is the underside ready to glass

Two layers of glass in. The rest of the layers will go on the outside and build up to shape the edges like I want.

Then I moved back to the side Panels. Decided that if I do even run the sides, I want them removable easily without messing with lights. So I cut and made the trim piece for the radiator side on pass side. I like the way it turned out. Still wanna curve the bottom a bit more. Now i have plenty time to decide weather to do the rest of the panels and make them meet up to these and make then easily removeable.

·
Registered
907 Posts
… I have time to decide best way while I make sure this’ll even work right. I’m actually more worried about how to the top is going to be shaped and how I’ll correct if it’s too flat…
Thankfully, the best thing about working with fibreglass is that if you are not happy, you can cut it out and start again.

… I actually may run a rib across in front and behind the closest spot rather than thicken it up
Looking at this photo…

I would be tempted to add at least one extra layer that went much further across the spilt on both sides.

Is there much flex between the inner and outer skin of the hood?

If so, there may be some benefit in bridging the cut edges of the inner panel to the underside of the outer panel.
( But that is definitely your call, as I know real life is very different to looking at photos on line. )

Finally, if you do decide to add some ribs, I found using rope a cheap and cheerful way of doing this.

Just bond/glue the rope in place.

Then add layers of matting over the top.

Note:
It is the shape of the matting that adds the strength.
The rope is just there to help create the shape.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
First thing this morning, I pulled off the other foam blocks and see what we got. Success i think! The basic shape is there and looks good.

Now, I roughed up the front and the back sides, broke the gel coat a bit farther and layed down 3 layers of glass mat on each side. This should start forming the radius at the bottom corner and give me enough thickness to grind out the radius at the top corner. Sorry for photo of top being vertical. Took them both after finished.

While it was curing enough to turn it over, I worked on the drivers trim panel. On the other side I noticed the angle of the panel don’t match the hood, so on this side I cut angled spacers for the headlight mounts to set the angle to match the slope of the car better. In second photo, you can see them. This was an after thought, so later I’ll remake them to be one piece with the spacer. Still have to fine tune the gap and where it meets the nose cone. That panel fit there is terrible. Not sure what I’m gonna do but prolly have to build up the nose cone top with glass.

And there went my whole week off lol. Not as much as I wanted to get done. But got a good start on the hood bump. Prolly work on sanding and shaping it this week on my day’s off

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Today I tackled glassing the outer skin to the inner skin. I cut and shaped foam to fill the gap and give a nice sloped edge. Wrapped it with clear tape and glued it in. That foam will be there permanently.

Then I laid down 2 layers of matting all the way around. This should get me close enough that filler will complete the shape of it. One more glass job to do hopefully tomorrow then it’ll be on to shaping and filling it to see how it’s gonna turn out. Can’t wait to put some primer on it to see how it’ll look.

I really need to take a day off and clean the shop. But my already limited time makes me not want to. I think I’m gonna get 2 days I counted in October? Between overtime, training, doc appts and kids field trips. I’m usually off 14 days a month and can work 10 of those. Ain’t been happening. Wish I could get back to that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hood Bump - Looking good on the 'sunny side' & super strong on the underside. :cool:

The best thing is that by the time you have finished it will look like it has always been that way.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
Thanks, Paul! Yes, it’s amazing that all this work is to make it look like it was made in a factory..... lol

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
After checking the tightest spot for amount of clearance (yay for baby girls pink play doh lol), I sanded down the fiberglass today and applied a good layer of filler. Since I’m using 3M platinum plus, it needs to cure awhile. I think I’m gonna take the rest of the day off. Well, after I fix an oops....

I still have some filler work to do on top, but the bottom is ready to start smoothing the entire surface

It dawned on me this morning, on the passenger side trim panel, I left a radius at the top and in driver side, I cut it straight up. While cutting the pass side would have been much easier, I decided to add the radius to the driver side. I cut the part off, beveled the edges good and cut increasingly wider glass strips to glue them back together. Most of the meat is in the back but I’ll do the front next and smooth it all out. To quote one of my guys at work “you are one of the stupidest smart guys I know”. Lol. Yeah, I don’t think I’m that smart, and sometimes I prove myself right.

Back to work tomorrow, and got a lot to do next couple weeks so prolly won’t get much done until early November.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Skimmed the hood bump outside last week and took it down. Today, I roughed up the top and made me a filler squeegee out of lexan. The ruler gives it some support. Used that to skim the top and give it a good curve shape across it so it’s not pool table flat. After it cures, and I get more filler, I’ll sand it smooth and the. Touch up the imperfections. Used the excess to touch up the round bottom corners. After this, it should be really close to final. Since i have some overtime to work next couple weeks, I hope to maybe get this done next Monday on the outside then finish up the inside.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Still more hood hump work. But I think it’s done on the top aide save for final skin coat and primer.

These photos after sanding and shooting a little rattle can enamel primer to see what it looked like.

What you can’t see well on top photos is that the edges are not straight and the radius of the bottom isn’t the same side to side. So I took some high spots down and filled some low areas and got them the same side to side. It also offset the typical FFR center-isn’t-the-center problems. Now, it looks centered.

Then i flipped her over, finished cleaning up the first coat of filler to smooth the bottom side and threw some more in to start skimming and filling small imperfections. Most of the bottom don’t have to be perfect since it’ll have insulation but the center area above the blower will be exposed to it needs to be slick.

This hood is almost ready to let me move on. Gotta finish fitting the nose cone, trim panels, and trunk. Finish building the blower inlet and get a tube, build my bench seat, console and door panels then it’s about time to take it apart for paint.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
It was too cold to open the shop and sand filler today. So took a break on the hood. I started building my seat frame. 1/2” x 12” thick wall tubing. After lots of thought and measure and more thought, and sitting on plywood with some foam, here is the basic frame for the seat bottoms. One is 1/2” too long on one leg. I’ll shorten it next week

This is in the car, but it’s too high and too far back. It’ll fall in front the seatbelt tabs

But I ran into a problem here. My goal was the back would drop in on hangers on the upper 2x2 cross tube, then bolt at the bottom and the bottom would slide under and bolt down. But there was no way to get to the bolts then where they would have to fall. So after lots of thought, I went over to a local upholstery shop to get some ideas. Dude is good, and his dad builds cars and did upholstery for years. He suggested I do the back exactly as planned but with a metal frame screwed to a wood form that the cushion and springs are on. Then the bottom frame would bolt in by itself. Then he showed me how to make a wood drop in using elastic webbing to provide the spring on bottoms and back. I’m really glad I went to see him. The ideas he gave me will allow me to shape it easier how I want and the metal frame will just provide support. So what I have will still work!

So, until I go get some plywood and find the elastic webbing, I started working on the waterfall. No real progress yet other than I found part of the reason it wasn’t shaping and laying in right. It was hitting the frame corners at the door hinges. Started fitting that up then came in to cook dinner for the wife.

Among all this, it was 23* this morning (way too cold for this coonass). And my shop was 45*. While not miserable, I don’t work well when cold. Plus, my welding hood died. Then I ran out of metal for the seat. So I was delayed a bit and had to run and get a heater (yay!), hood and metal. Next week, I have vacation (I actually leave Monday morning from work and don’t go back till like December 5th or so) and hope to get a whole lot done. I have steel, some wood to start first versions, and there’s always the hood sides, trunk and blower inlet to work on. I hope to tackle a lot of that.

Sorry for the ramble. I’m excited to be working on something with real, visible end value again!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
After lots of fitting, looking, mirrors and flashlight, I figured out that the problem with my waterfall was the radius of the curve on the drivers side wasn’t right. It was too curved on the fall. That was causing everything to pull out of whack. So I pie cut it, and glassed it back up. This made it fit a whole lot better. Got it bolted in with some rivnuts and pretty little bolts. That was a big source of frustration for me out of the way now.

Next, I worked on the seat back frame. The idea is to have it all one piece and it will slide down into brackets the bolt in at the bottom. Then the seat bottom frames bolt in, and the actual material and foam will drop in. This should make all fasteners nice and hidden.

Here’s the brackets that tabs will slide into

Got the basic seat back frame built and dropped into place. Nothing is bolted yet. I want to put the top on and sit in it first. Everything can be fine tuned with spacers for up and down and foam but it all has to be close. I think I’m gonna bring the frame up higher to support the seat back also.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts