Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: due to Photobucket brain fart, all the pics in my thread became unviewable. I changed some of the later ones out to imagur, especially where I began deviating from FFR build. The first few pages, I did not and will not go back and reupload and change the links. If you have a question, feel free to ask, but it's all pretty straightforward FFR build until I got to the brake lines. It's about there that I closed the manual and will use it for reference only at times. So please scroll down and photos will start working again.

Guess it's as good a place to start as any. Got all parts inventoried. A couple small things missing. Got the frame on jack stands. Friday, I'll cut grass then maybe start on the front end. I do need to build a body buck but I am anxious to start!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Built front suspension today. And also a body buck to put castors on to move it around and out of my way. I won't have as much time for the next month to work, as I have to keep my son on my days off. But in a month, we'll have more permanent care and I'll have time. Today I got a sitter so I could have some shop time lol.

Really neat to do this because the front suspension is one of the big reasons I went with FFR instead of an original style chassis and mustang 2

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hung the rear end yesterday. Got the fox length axles ordered so I can modify the brackets for the sn95 rear brakes. Front brakes installed. Nothing major yet. Marked the brackets I don't need for removal from from frame and rear end when I take apart to paint much later on down the road.

Leveled up the frame and gonna find center next and start on pedal box.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No pics today, but I just finished building my brake lines on paper. 500$ later at speedway (at least it's still in my cart there) I have all stainless lines, all stainless fittings, save 2 3/8-24 IFM to 3an adapters for master cylinder. Oh that also includes a good 37* flare tool for stainless tubing.

I have decided to run the ABS power brake inc electric assist system that Tim, basmith and a couple other guys using. So I need to get that order d soon also I guess. Another 1350$ for the short master cyclinder version. After talking to Pedro there today, that really is a trick system.

·
Banned
469 Posts
After building a complete system with stainless steel lines, I found the tubing fairly hard to bend and had problems with flaring the tubes without cracking the flare, even using Eastwood's high quality flaring tool. Some of the tubing sold at Speedway, with tubing nuts already installed at each end is not recommended to be recut and flared. I reduced the chances of cracking by using a propane torch to anneal the end of the tube, prior to flaring. I got the steel red hot for 30 seconds to a minute and let it air cool before flaring.

I later made some modifications to my brake lines and tried Nicopp tubing. It's so much easier to bend and flare that I would not buy stainless tubing again. It's also considerably less expensive and comes in a roll that's easy to straighten out by hand. I got my tubing from Amazon. I still like to use stainless tube nuts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the anneal advice, Dave. And the nicopp. I've seen it while shopping but didn't look at it. I have to make a decision then. The nicopp would save some money. A cheaper 37* flare tool could be bought for sure. But I've always envisioned stainless lines in this car (been planning it for about 20 years).

I can't find any information on weather or not nicopp is safe and ok to use with AN fittings versus double flare though. You have any?

Thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, you've about got me changed to use nicopp, polish it a bit, and AN fittings instead of stainless now.

·
Banned
469 Posts
AN fittings are fine for hoses, but I would not use them for brake lines. They seem to be a hot rod tradition, but I see no point is using them these days.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AN fittings are fine for hoses, but I would not use them for brake lines. They seem to be a hot rod tradition, but I see no point is using them these days.
I won't lie. I just want them. They look cool. Always pictured this car with that type of fittings in the lines.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Changed my mind again. Back to stainless tubing and everything is ordered up, flaring tool (found it 40$ off at a plumbing supply store! Hope that works out!) and straightener. If I just can't get the SS to work right, I'll reconsider and go nicopp. After much thought, I went back with what I've always envisioned for this car.

·
Banned
469 Posts
If you use AN fitting with a single 37 degree flare the stainless shouldn't be a problem. It's the double 45 flare that can be tough to do. The second flaring operation it where the cracks are likely.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
I use the AN 37* stuff exclusively. I come from an aviation background, so that's what I know. Never any issues if done correctly with a quality flaring tool.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks y'all.

I ordered the ratcheting rigid tool that folks seem to recommend for it. We'll see how it goes! I'm not too worried about it working. I'll anneal the ends. I'm more worried about getting it bent and fit just right to satisfy me lol

I'm going to use some bulkhead fittings where the lines go through the floor at the bottom of the firewall. So from the MC to there (which I won't have the MC here or mounted for awhile yet) I'll wait until later. Still have a bit to do befor I start the lines but I'll have all the parts here and ready

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put the fox length axles in, bolted up the back brakes, centered the rear end, laser shot the center line and rough aligned the front end. Then put the wheels on (just my build wheels) just to see what it looks like.

Next is firewall and brakes lines! Still need to order the power brake set up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I saw in another thread that you were using a 6R80 tranny behind a Coyote? Did you have to modify the chassis or trans tunnel to fit the beast in? I have been talking about using the 6R80 for a while, but everyone in the business tells me that it won't fit in the Hot Rod. Hopefully, you can prove them wrong! Thanks, Keith

1 - 20 of 247 Posts