Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carbotech XP-8 or 10
EBC BLUE NDX or B
HAWK ER-1, DTC 30 or 50. NO HP Plus Enhanced. HPS do not like them, just put on, "Dead" feel when cold.

Looking for a pad that gives decent cold bite and OK for occasional street use, will work on the track but not race conditions, rotor friendly.

Open to other suggestions

Have slotted DBA rotors.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I use the Carbotech 8. I do not track my car but on a conservative tune im around 850hp so stopping the car from usually 150-160mph on sun mornings with the boys these are the best that ive used yet. I did like the hps only way to much brake dust.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,610 Posts
I've been running Carbotech XP-10 pads on front and XP-8 on rear with slotted PowerSlot rotors on all four corners for over 10 yrs. They are on year round and work well in daily traffic. I also track the car and they work very well. No fade and no power brakes either. :) I don't think you'll have an issue with the 8's, just not as aggressive when hot. Cobra has "Cobra" brakes front/rear.

Keep in mind they dust a little more than the organic type but not bad.

Side note: I only run Carbotech pads on both the Cobra and my '02 Mustang.

·
8,324 Posts
XP8 front and XP10 rear. Occasionally they will squeal but not that often. Work great on the street and never had a problem for track use at my driving level.

Reactions: Chepsk8

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm seeing 8's and 10's in opposite situations. I would think the 8's on the rear for better cold bite, since they don't work as hard, and the 10's up front to work harder when warmed up?

Reactions: weendoggy

·
Charter Member
1,120 Posts
I also run the Carbotech. I have a set for street use, and sets for the track with XP8 in the rear. That's the nice thing about Carbotech, once bedded you can swap without needing a different set of rotors. The guys at Carbotch know our cars and the spec racers and were great to work with. They have a file for my car and know what I need. One time I called and they suggested trying a new compound for the rears (XP8) for the track, so I did and they were great. The track pads are not inexpensive, but I feel they are worth it. The way I explain it to others is that when I press on the brakes it's the 5 point harness that keeps me in the seat. It can't hurt to give them a call.

·
Junior Charter Member
119 Posts
I ran the carbotech 10s in my chump and they were great. They really could only go 12 hours and not much more. I switched to Raybestos ST43s and the bite was slightly less grabbed than the XP10s but easily 2x the life. If you need the initial bite the XPs are probably it. If you want to pay less for pads per track hour the ST43s are worth looking at.

·
Charter Member
1,120 Posts
I switched to Raybestos ST43s
That's good to know. I haven't seen these pads prior to this. Do you happen to know if they have compatible street pads, so the same rotors can be used? I also noticed they have a ST47 compound to choose from. With the price difference I could almost afford a new rotor set to go with them... hmmm you have me thinking.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I used the following on my Coupe. I tried 3 different pads before I finally got these and they are great.

You need to "bed" the new pads.

Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) ceramic disc brake pads. 274s go on the front, 183s go on the rear. I got mine on Amazon with free 2 day shipping. Lowest price on the net.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone with the EBC's?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carbotech had great technical help on the phone! Very knowledgeable.

Recommended the 8's for all around driving and easier track, and maybe the 10's up front if I need the extra grip.

Thank you for all your input on this thread.

Dan

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pulled the trigger on the 8's, will report back once on and bedded, hopefully a track day

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(I have FREE almost new HAWK HPS & HP Plus pads to give away, you pay shipping)

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PM me your address so I can figure Shipping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts