Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently trying to decide on the options we want for our build so that we can place an order soon. We are rebuilding a mild 351w and guessing it will be around 350+ hp and 400+ torque, while still having a good idle. The build we are aiming towards is a street performer/Sunday afternoon driver. We obviously want it to be fast and handle well, but we are trying to tailor our build towards a smoother ride. I know it won't ride like a Mercedes, but we don’t want it tuned for a track either. This has kind of lead us to IRS for "less unsprung weight" and 15" wheels (Plus we just like the looks of 15"). Am I correct in assuming IRS will ride smother than 3-link or 4-link. Am I correct in assuming 15” would ride softer but not handle as well? We haven't ruled out 17", just not sure if we need "high performance" tires. Shouldn't it corner well enough with 15"? My real question is about Pin Drive setups. Is there any gain in pin drive other than aesthetics? Is the resale or authenticity of having pin drive really worth it? I have read a lot of problems with getting the pin drive stuff setup correct, is that resolved now or a non issue? Since there are a lot parts that come "pin drive width", is this something we need to decide before we order?

Just looking for a little guidance from someone with more experience than me (that means anyone)

Thanks,

Greg

·
6,303 Posts
IRS with 15" wheels rides better than your Mercedes. Pin drive adds to the authenticity factor and will boost resale somewhat. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal call.
Frank

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Unless you are into hardcore racing or want to go in excess of 150 MPH, 15" tires will be fine.

·
Senior Charter Member
506 Posts
15" pin drives should be a very easy set up as most people use Trigo or Vintage wheels. I believe Trigos only come in in 2 sizes...front and rear...which will take out a lot of the guess work involved with 17" pin drives, such as PS Engineering, which are 2 piece and commonly made to order.

I have 17" pin drives, but have never seen 15" pin drives that didn't look just right.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
Theoretically, pin-drives will make the "sweet spot" (the range where it all works best) in the front suspension smaller due to the shorter control arms.

It probably would not be something that you could tell in the real wqorld.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have pin drive rear arms for that deep dish wheel look and normal front a-arms. I am not using pin drive wheels. This gives me the ability to use a deep rear wheel and yet not compromise the front suspension.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Keep in mind that pindrive lenth control arms in the rear will limit suspension travel slightly so you should use stiffer springs. You might call Gordon Levy about suspension setups.

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
IRS is smooth riding and excellent cornering.
Autocross guys get IRS.
Pin drive rims are no problem now days.
Price is comparable to 5-lug Halibrand replicas.
FFR stock suspension springs and shocks are excellent for the street.
15" tires do ride well; filter the bumps out somewhat compared to slightly more harsh 17".
Cornering is excellent on 15's.
Unless you get drag radials, no matter what tires you get, the car will be traction limited on hard accelleration from a dead start.

You seem to be on the right track.
I have no regrets choosing the setup you ask about.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
sounds good, the only things that i would add for ride comfort would be excellent shocks. the motion ratio is low on the car in stock form and a monotube shock is better at controlling the slow shaft speeds you see in this configuration. this means the car will porpoise less over bumps but provide a smoother ride over small bumps.

if the suspension is well tuned you can get a better ride on 17's than 15's, because the suspension can absorb the bumps rather than the undamped sidewall of the tire acting as a (relatively) uncontrolled spring.

james

·
Senior Charter Member
647 Posts
If you have deep pockets IRS & Pin Drives are the way to go , I had both on my first car and they rode and handled great , I'm doing the three link narrowed & putting pin drives in this car also you can't beat the looks of pin drives and the resale goodluck!

·
Anti-Venom
1,137 Posts
Originally posted by Avalanche325:
Theoretically, pin-drives will make the "sweet spot" (the range where it all works best) in the front suspension smaller due to the shorter control arms.

It probably would not be something that you could tell in the real wqorld.
I talked with the factory about this today when i ordered mine. He said that the difference on the street is negligible. I'm looking at pin drive width with bolt on wheels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts